We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to eat....anything new?

Seneca, SC
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
places to eat....anything new?

We have our August trip planned to OIB and were wondering if anyone had any recent updates on good places to eat? We have our usual favorites--but have not been since November and were wondering if anyone who has been this year has any suggestions!

Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to eat....anything new?

Well the ice cream place beside the pier is under new management-I think it is called the breakers. WE went for ice cream the first night and noticed that the menu had changed and got to meet the new owner. Looked really good, more Italian in nature and supposedly the best wings around. He has a restaurant in Shallotte and just delivers the majority of the stuff there he said. We were going to try it but never did. Other than that I dont think there was anything new, the putt putt is still the hottest thing going!!ha!! This time we probably spent more time in Myrtle Beach to eat than we ever had. My favorite for OIB still is Nells pit stop, I could care less if its a greasy spoon, its just good comfort food for me and always brings back good memories of the breakfasts we have had there with good friends.

Clemmons, NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to eat....anything new?

Just a mention about Sharky's, which has always been one our favorites. We were down with the kids over Memorial Day weekend and went there as we always do and was surprised, and frankly a little disappointed, to see they seem to be changing things up there a little bit. We had always enjoyed the rustic, beachy and fun atmoshere but they seem to be trying to dress things up a bit, and not just the tables and overall decor but the menu as well. It may still look rustic to some but not compared to the way it used to look. I believe the menu is larger now and granted had some very interesting new items, but our younger food critcs were really upset that they don't even have cheese sticks any more!

Now, some people I'm sure might think the changes are a good thing, and to be honest it's not really bad - the food and service were still good, the deck still pleasant, the beer still cold. It's just, well, different, that's all. So if you've tried Sharky's in the past and not liked it then maybe you'll want to give it another shot and you might even be pleasantly surprised. And if it was already on your favorite's list then check it out for yourself to see how you feel about the changes. Don't get me wrong, we'll still continue to go there. I'm just saying we preferred it the old way better.

Seneca, SC
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to eat....anything new?

Sharky's has been on our list of favorites for years, but late last year when we were there we noticed it just wasn't the same....I know exactly what you mean. We probably will try them for lunch one day, but wish they would go back to the old Sharkys....a basic beach bum hangout with good food!!!

Seneca, SC
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to eat....anything new?

Well, Sharkys has changed even more from last year!

The whole beach bum atmosphere is gone, looks as if they are trying to be more "upscale" with the fabric tablecloths, candles, and the "preppy" wait staff.

The food was still OK, portions seemed to be smaller.

A big disappointment, really....hope this is not a sign of things to come for the island.

Giggling Mackerel was great as usual,and we finally made it to the Sugar Shack....service was great there--when I did not like the crab fritters, they let me choose something else (the pizza--it was good!) Ellas at Calabash was great for cheap lunch a couple of days. The Boundry House was also good this year.

5. Re: places to eat....anything new?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 12:23
Get answers to your questions about Ocean Isle Beach