We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House location and Trip Plan

charlotte, nc
9 posts
Save Topic
House location and Trip Plan

We are looking into renting on Ocean Isle this summer (an oceanfront home on the West end, near the Islander resort??). I am always nervous making a vacation commitment about an unfamiliar area We have a group of two children (2 & 4)and 6 adults. Last year we loved the wide beach, sand consistency, and lack of crowds at Holden Beach. However, we would like to have a few more options for eating out which is why we're looking elsewhere. I'd appreciate any comments/input on the location we're considering, beach width (I've seen a few comments about a "shelf"?), or other suggestions would be appreciated!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House location and Trip Plan

Ocean Isle is a wonderful place, but as far as dining out options you have Sharkey's, Cinelli's, and the Giggling Mackeral. There are 2 ice cream shops on the island, one of which has hamburgers, hot dogs, things of that nature. Off the island you can go 30-45 min down the road to Myrtle Beach for more dining options, or closer to Calabash or Sunset Beach. Shallotte(sp) also has some restaurants, but we didnt venture that way much, just to go to Walmart!!! We take the lack of "amenities" that Myrtle beach has any day just to relax at OIB!!!

Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House location and Trip Plan

We stay on the west end of OIB every time we go and have never had problems with an ocean "shelf". The beach is nice and wide, and at low tide you can walk to the far west end of the island and walk WAY out on a huge sandbar--it's amazing how far out you can walk and not be in any water! OIB is quiet and non-crowded, like Holden. We cook in most nights, go to Barefoot Landing once, and eat at the Giggling Mackeral once or twice. We love OIB.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House location and Trip Plan

I own a house on the west end, so I'm there quite often. There was a "shelf" a few years ago, but the tide has changed that and the beach is now level and wide. One of my favorite OIB restaurants is Sugar Shack. Jamaican food, excellent service, fun atmosphere. Also try the Japanese steak house just before the bridge (I wish I could remember the name!)

4. Re: House location and Trip Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Ocean Isle Beach