We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

??????

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
??????

So many beaches and resorts. First time visitor to NC and or SC, Would like some suggestions on what area to stay. Looking at Ocean Isle, Topsail, Carolina beaches.Myrtle Beach, Murrels Inlet and Hilton Head.There are my wife and myself coming from High Point and are looking to hang out on the beach and do a little touring around. We are in our mid fifties and quite active no mobility issues. Have been looking on VRBO, so many places. Thanks for your help.

Hudson
Level Contributor
445 posts
1. Re: ??????

Our family likes OIB the best followed by NMB and finally HHI. OIB is a

quiet beach yet you are within 45-60 minute drive from MB and Wilmington

if you want to take a day trip. Also, Calabash is about 20 minutes away and has great seafood. Best resource for OIB rentals is VRBO or Williamson Realty.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: ??????

If you can be a little more specific in what you'd like in a beach we might be able to help you narrow it down. Myrtle is very touristy with lots of added attractions. Ocean Isle is more mellow and slow-paced. Hilton Head is more "resorty". There are many other beaches, too. You only mentioned a very few. NC and SC have quite extensive coast lines.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: ??????

Also, what time of year are you coming?

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: ??????

You won't go wrong with Ocean Isle. From there you can take a little time to check out other areas for future visits.

I will add that you can safely rule out Murrells Inlet, as it has no beach. It's a great place to visit, but to be on the beach you'll need to stay at nearby Garden City, Surfside Beach, or Pawley's Island.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: ??????

We are coming from Edmonton, Alberta for the furniture show in High Point for a few days, after the show we would like to tour around a bit as well as have a spot on the beach to relax. It would be nice to have the flexibility to be able to enjoy some nice restaurants as well as generally cruise around the area also with time to sit on the beach and watch the waves.We will be there Oct 19 for a few extra days.It appears that it is probably a three or four hour drive from High Point to get to the coast. So again were really not sure what would be the best location for us. Thanks for the input.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: ??????

bc1954, I would suggest Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington. At that time of year there will be no crowds, and there are a number of things to see and do in the area. Wilmington offers very good restaurants, a historical riverfront district, ghost tours, etc., and close by you'll find the NC Aquarium, Ft. Fisher (a Civil War historical site), the USS North Carolina battleship memorial (very educational and interesting for kids and adults), and there's lots more. You are correct--it's about 4 hours drive from High Point.

Check out this site for more info: http://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com/

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: ??????

Yeah, I agree. Wrightsville is probably your quickest beach if you just shoot down I-40. There's a lot to do in Wilmington and the area. Weather could be a toss up in October, but will probably be pretty nice. No telling really, but I'd hope for 60s or 70s. Could be 80s or 50s, though, you just never know. My money is on 70s, though.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: ??????

Ditto on Wrightsville Beach.

The Blockade Runner and the Holiday Inn are there. Both are nice. I like the Blockade Runner a little more because it has a bit of a retro feel and the property is on both the ocean and on an inlet of the Intracoastal Waterway. They have a couple of chairs where you sit and catch a great sunset. But, it's kind of a six or one-half dozen kind of decision and you can't go too wrong either way.

9. Re: ??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 00:43
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: ??????

Thanks everybody for there input muchly appreciated. Looking forward to our trip.Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Ocean Isle Beach