We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A place to change

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A place to change

Are there places at the beach where one can change into a bathing suit. We can't get into our rental unit until 5:00 P.M. but would like to arrive early so we don't feel like we are losing a day of our vacation so we are thinking that we could spend time at the beach until we can check in. Information would be greatly appreciated.

NC
Level Contributor
475 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A place to change

The beach probablly won't be crowded wherever you're at. Have someone hold up a towel and change behind the truck.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A place to change

I agree with the previous poster, this time of year the beach is not too crowded, you can do it there, or if the house you are staying in has an outdoor shower/changing room, you could ask to use it until the house is ready, we haven't had a problem doing that in the past.

Definitely get all the hours you can out of your trip! Have fun! We are headed there tomorrow! Yea!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A place to change

There are bath room at the ferry dock that you can change in they have large handicap stalls that work well

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
739 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A place to change

As long as you are not obnoxious about it (take forever, make a mess) and just doing a quick change, I think you could do it in any fast food bathroom or the like. You certainly wouldn't be the first!

We have a place in Wrightsville on a street near one of the main surfing areas. I am always amused by the surfers who look around to make sure there is no one watching and then change behind their towel, totally forgetting to look up where we are sitting on our third floor balcony. I HATE when that happens! Hey, we old ladies need a thrill every once in a while. Keeps our hearts pumping......................

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A place to change

Hi Dreameyes. There is a visitor's center after you cross the Bonner Bridge where you could easily change in better surroundings if a fast food restaurant or behind a towel doesn't appeal to you. You would be wearing your bathing suit for an hour plus before you arrived in Ocracoke, though.

MB

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A place to change

Thank you; the information is very helpful and much appreciated.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,748 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A place to change

Dreameyes......so as you see, no worries! I would opt for the Hatteras side so you can be in your suits on the ferry and ready to jump out on the beach once you get to Ocracoke. The State keeps the facilities up on both sides. I would ck with the rental company when you arrive. They have to say 5 to protect themselves since everyone want to get in early. Still, as the cleaning crews finish up they usually are happy to give out the keys and help you get your vacation started!

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A place to change

Thank you:

We will check with them before 5 and hope for the best!!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A place to change

Last year when we went to check in they had all the homes that were ready out side in a pick up box so you don’t need to check in just check to see if your key and contract and welcome package is there.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A place to change

fish oinc

Was this with Ocracoke Island Realty???

Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke