We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

Chapel Hill, NC
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

My wife and I are making the trip to Ocracoke during the week of July 4th. One of the days we want to get over to Portsmouth Island (mainly to go shelling). Just curious if renting a kayak and paddling to the island is a feasible option or should we take the Austin Boat Tour over?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

It is a far paddle over to Portsmouth Island, motor boat is the way to go.

Bring a TON of bug spray, it is really bad in the summer months. Could not even walk 50 feet down the path to the village without turning back.

Shelling is pretty good, but again, we had to stay right in the water along the shoreline, when we walked onto the beach, we were attacked fiercely by bugs!

We may see you that week!

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

Ditto what Lynn said. It is several miles via water, about 10-15 minute boat ride in my skiff. There are a couple of tour companies that run folks over plus there is a company that will rent you a small boat. Try to pick a day when the wind is coming off the water (SW) as the bugs on Portsmouth are famous. The biting flies in particular act like they have never had a decent meal.

Kirk

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

Perfect analogy Kirk!

Chapel Hill, NC
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound like it would quite be worth the trip to Portsmouth if the bugs are that bad. Perhaps will stick to the Ocracoke beaches for shelling. This will be our first "peak season" trip to Ocracoke. We normally try to get there in April/May but decided to make a week of it this year over the 4th. Is there anything we should know? It sounds like it gets pretty crowded which seems hard to imagine when you are used to enjoying the island with little to no crowd. Thanks again for the replies - any input is very much appreciated.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

This is our first trip for the 4th of July. It will be very crowded particularly on the 4th-lots of day trippers come over. There is a whole day of events planned, sand castles, paratroopers, pirate storytellers, the parade, and fireworks. We figure we will be eating in that night, close to impossible to get in a restaurant!

As the owner of the new Community Store told us when we were there Memorial Day, "it is the one week where I sometimes want to crawl into a hole and hide, but there is no place I'd rather be!"

Chapel Hill, NC
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

Sounds a little scary. As long as we can find a little stretch of beach to ourselves on the north end we will be content. The sand sculptures and fireworks sounds fun to. From what it sounds, Ocracoke business owners need the visitors this year - so I will be happy to do my part so we can continue to keep Ocracoke on our list of favorite spots to visit.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

We will all have a great time-how lucky we are to be so close to visit at all different times of the year!

Greenville NC
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

My husband and I are coming in by boat on the 30th. A little nervous, this is our first time into Ocracoke by boat. Heard it is a little tricky. How far a walk is the beach as we will have no transportation? We will be at the Anchorage docks. 310 Searay. "Bad 2 Da Bow". Stop by and say hello if you are around bwtn the 30th - 2nd.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

The beach is a couple miles from where you are. You could rent a bike, it would be pretty far to go, but I see people do it all the time.

10. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from Ocracoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke