We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling??

Chapel Hill, NC
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shelling??

My wife and I are in Ocracoke now for the week of the 4th and are looking for a stretch of beach for shelling. We have tried Bonnets Beach (~1.5 miles south of Ponies) and the very north end of the island - both during low tide and we've had no luck at either place. Any suggestions? I know I mentioned trying to get over to Portsmouth in a previous post - is that where we need to go for good shelling?

Thanks.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelling??

Shells are like fish they are here one day and gone the next keep trying If you have 4 wheel drive just cruising the beach at low tide every day is different, they say Portsmouth is good but its also buggy if the wind isn't blowing

Chapel Hill, NC
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelling??

thanks. is the north end better than the south or vice versa?

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelling??

I've always had better luck on the south end of the island, over by the sound, which is the section that is now closed. I've also had better luck early in the morning or late evening, before the other tourist pick them over.

On a side note if you like BBQ be sure to pick up a plate from the Ocracoke fire dept. when they have their plate sale this week (if they still do that). Get there early, as they will sell out. The long line moves pretty fast.

Chapel Hill, NC
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelling??

which way do you normally drive to get out to the south end? do you take one of the access roads just north of the village? we don't have much experience with the south end of the beach - we have a 4WD but i'm still afraid i'll get it stuck so we normally park off 12 and walk.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelling??

You can’t get there now because of the birds closures , but going down the road across from Howard’s is the way, driving on the beach is fun but you need to know what to do you can look at my site it also has instructions on driving on sand , the most important is airing down , depending on what you drive going to 15 psi in every time is a good idea if you have a smaller suv you might even go to 10 psi get a gauge don’t guess, and if you do get stuck there is always some one willing to help

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shelling??

This time of year the shells are pretty picked over. They are "replenished" by storms which are more common in the winter (barring a hurricane). The best luck I have ever had was the north end after a strong nor'easter last winter. We found a bunch of Scotch Bonnets. This time of year they have probably already been found or run over by 4x4. I would think right now you might try doing what you have already done, sometimes in the dunes you will find pockets of shells. Of course half the fun of shelling is in the doing!

Kirk

7. Re: Shelling??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations