We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portsmouth Village 1st Week of May

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Portsmouth Village 1st Week of May

Hi all

We are coming to Ocracoke the first week of May. We would like to check out Portsmouth Village one day, but I am a bit concerned about the insects, especially after reading where some where netting to be able to stand them.

What should we expect around the 1st week of May?

Should we also expect bad insect problem on Ocracoke at that time?

We will be bring DEET spray, but don't want to invest in netting, etc.

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
164 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portsmouth Village 1st Week of May

I fish alot in a skiff on the back side of Portsmouth so I have feed some of the bugs there. The first week of May is better than the middle of the summer. Two variables have a hugh impact. First is the wind direction. If the wind is blowing from the island to where you are (like the beach or the town) that is BAD. You can be on the beach with an onshore breeze and never see a bug, if the wind switches though, they will get you.

The second variable is rain particulary after a dry spell. If it has rained during the previous week, the bugs will be worse. If that happens after 3 or 4 weeks of no rain, Lord help you.

I would think netting is a bit extreme, even at there worse DEET has always been pretty effective, at least for me.

Kirk

2. Re: Portsmouth Village 1st Week of May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations