We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Ocracoke?

Southern Shores...
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in Ocracoke?

I know that there's the Gov't run campsite in Ocracoke, but I'm wondering... are you allowed to throw up a tent and just primitive camp on a desolate section of beach at night?

I started wondering this back last offseason when the ferry was running only once an hour and there was a long line...I had my tent and sleeping bag in the back of my SUV and I almost set up camp rather than wait the 3 hours it took to catch the ferry that night. I've looked online but can't find anything on whether camping is allowed on the beach. I'm not talking about for a weekend...just overnight...throw up a tent at dark and break it down at first daylight.

Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Ocracoke?

Camping is permitted ONLY at designated campground. I have seen truck campers out there all night but they .

You can look here for the official notice

nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Ocracoke?

ops It was early in the morning when I posed that lol it should have said

Camping is permitted ONLY at designated campground. I have seen truck campers out there all night but they are fishing . But as it is now you have to be off the beach by 10 pm and not allowed on before 6 am because of the birds

ALBEMARLE, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Ocracoke?

If You Are Staying At The Campground And Walking Over The Dunes To The Beach, Do They Still Say You Have To Be Off The Beach By 10:00 PM ???

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Ocracoke?

No vehicles on the beach past 10, and no overnight camping. The camping has always been the rule. The night driving/fishing is actually due to the turtles nesting - while not directly due to the bird nesting issue, it was created as part of the consent decree brought on by the Audobon Society's civil suit against the NPS.

ALBEMARLE, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Ocracoke?

THANK YOU,

My wife and i love to build campfires at night and roast weenees and sometimes grill with a tripod, glad to hear it is not "people" that have to be off the beach by 10:00 !!

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Ocracoke?

I would just double check before you do it, to make sure there isn't a time that you need to be off the beach. They do allow campfires, but I don't know for certain if there is a time they request people are no longer on the beach - I only know that the previously mentioned rule is in regards to driving (the way most surf fisherman get to the beach, due to all our crazy gear!). If you are going to be there during turtle hatching season, they do ask people to be careful of lights at night, since they confuse the hatchlings and cause them to crawl toward the lights, instead of the water. So, just ask. With so many rules changing on the beaches so quickly these days, it is really hard to assume anything.

Have fun!

7. Re: Camping in Ocracoke?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations