We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from second trip to Ocracoke

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Back from second trip to Ocracoke

Here is a long post on some thoughts on our second trip for a nearly two week stay at Ocracoke. We can't go every year but we would love to return for another trip. Wonderful place!

Ocean breeze: does anyone else remember that first whiff of the salty ocean breeze one gets when travelling to the beach. i had this when stopping for gas on 158. it immediately put me in relaxation mode.

4th of July: very sad accident involving the fireworks explosion...we heard a loud boom that morning. my sympathies and condolences to all involved should they ever read this.

Bugs and weather: As Lynn said, bugs were bad but I think eminently tolerable given the surroundings (Ocracoke village and their amazing beaches). Did not rain during the day save a light drizzle after dinner one evening.

Day Trip: Drove up to Cape Hatteras to see the lighthouse. This was a nice break to the routine and much closer than we thought. Had lunch in Hatteras at the Harbor Deli. Harbor Deli has excellent food and very dog friendly!

Beach: amazing, amazing, amazing! Surf was rough.

Incident: We have two dogs and always clean up afterwards. Always. One day, our female dog peed and a woman down the street yelled at us: "aren't you going to pick that up". She mistakenly thought are dog was having a bowel movement. We told her that she peed and as expected, received no apology for her rudeness. Still, after the dog poop seen on the streets, we can understand her frustration. We have seen worse, however.

Shops: We weren't much into shopping this time around. We realize that is part of the Ocracoke experience but times are tough...my lady did buy some jewelry. I guess the hippie flair down here mandates incense in these shops but it's a bit annoying. imho.

I'll talk about the restaurants in another post...

Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from second trip to Ocracoke

Glad you enjoyed Ocracoke. Thanks for posting your experiences. Looking forward to the restaurant reviews..............

Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from second trip to Ocracoke

hey RebelJohn, we really love Ocracoke and are very glad we returned. I did post a few negatives but they are very inconsequential and minor.

All in all, considering all factors important to us, I can't really think of another place I'd want to go for a summertime beach vacation. With stressful work environments, we typically like these vacations for the R&R factor and simple pleasures - walks, sunsets, lying on the beach doing absolutely nothing, a meal in a nice restaurant, etc....We also like that Ocracoke is dog friendly - has some nice places to stay that accepts dogs and the beaches are dog friendly also.

The isolated village feel of Ocracoke and the friendly locals makes for a very special experience and we both miss it already.

Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
3. Re: Back from second trip to Ocracoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 06:35
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke