We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach, Bicycle Questions

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Beach, Bicycle Questions

First-time visitor third week in June. We've rented a cottage.

1. Can you get to the beaches without 4WD car?

2. Can you bike to the beaches? If so, is it safe to leave a bike or do you take it with you on the sand?

3. Do you need to rent bikes in advance or can you do it when you arrive?

4. Any suggestions for bike rentals? Are all rentals pretty much the same?

Thanks for your help.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach, Bicycle Questions

1. Yes you can get to the beach without 4WD, park at the airport or on the road and walk over the dune.

2..It is pretty far to bike to the beach, it is several miles depending on where your cottage is located.

3. You can rent bikes at several places around the island, including the rental office.

4. I like a bike with a basket-great for shopping! Most rentals are pretty much the same. Usually cheaper to rent for the whole week than hourly or daily.

Have a great time!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach, Bicycle Questions

Several years ago I rented one (I usually bring my own) doing some checking around I found Pony Island Inn to be the least expensive .

They are every where so fining one will not be a problem.

FYI they are now renting golf carts too in many places. They made them legal to drive around town a few years ago.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach, Bicycle Questions

1. The lifeguard beach has a big parking lot, bathrooms and outdoor showers. There is also a bike stand there. You access the beach by a boardwalk over the sand dunes. Like Lynn said, you can also park at the airport and walk to that beach (probably about 150 yards). You will see a lot of cars on this beach. There are other beaches with smaller parking areas--non-lifeguard and fewer people--further away from town. Do not just pull off the side of the road, though, unless you are sure you are pulling off onto some solid ground. It's very easy to get stuck in the sand.

2. You can bike to the lifeguard beach and the airport beach...if you are in good shape. The wind and the heat can be significant on the road.

2a. Bikes don't get stolen in the conventional sense of the word. What usually happens is that you leave a bike somewhere for several hours--like at Howard's--and some thoughtless person finds it convenient to grab the bicycle and use it for his own destination. Or maybe he just grabs the wrong bicycle--they tend to all look alike. Several days later, your bike is found at someone else's rental property after they leave. Yeah, this happened to me. LOL So, I tend to lock my bicycle for MY convenience--especially where there are a lot of people.

3. We just rent bikes when we get there. We usually rent at the Slushie Stand because it is central for us and easy for us to drop by if we have any issues with the bikes. Other places may be better for you. And Lynn is right--make sure and get a basket. We bicycle around at night a lot so I also bring a good headlight for each bike. Kids under sixteen (or sixteen and under--cannot remember) are supposed to wear a helmet. You don't see many people doing that but just be aware. i know for sure that the Slushie Stand provides helmets.

Edited: 10 June 2011, 23:26
Ocracoke, North...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach, Bicycle Questions

You can also rent golf carts at Ocracoke Island Golf Carts in the village near the Anchorage Inn Marina. Easy, fun, affordable. Contact 252.928.0090 for information and reservations. Open daily. Rentals are partial days, daily, weekly.

NJ
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach, Bicycle Questions

We rented from the Pony Island Motel last year. Slushy Stand has them as does Ocracoke Island Realty. You can bike to the life guarded beach but it is far. We brought along bike locks to be sure our rentals did not 'ride away' on their own. Make sure you have plenty of water with you. Biking is the best way to get around the island because the car traffic can be slow and spaces to park can also be hard to come by. Be safe and enjoy!

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach, Bicycle Questions

Thanks for the helpful replies.

7. Re: Beach, Bicycle Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke