We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Since I got a lot of useful advice from this forum, I thought I would post a trip report.

We loved Ocracoke. It is definitely a family town. It's quiet and pretty. The only noise came from the Anchorage bar/restaurant, which we avoided. We felt welcomed by everyone except the RV we encountered with a confederate flag.

Travel: We flew into Norfolk and drove to Ocracoke. It took us a whole lot longer than we expected--probably 5 hours.

Accomodations: We rented a house from Ocracoke Island Realty. Their website is super easy to use and they were very helpful, efficient. We'd use them again.

Food: We stopped at the Food Lion in Kill Devil Hills; we missed the one in Avon. For future reference it is hard to see driving south--turn right at the traffic light into the mall in Avon. We also stopped at farmer's market on the way down and got delicious fruits and veggies. We stopped a couple of times at the Variety store and could have done all our shopping there. It's not bad--weakest on meat and vegetables but still quite doable.

We rented bikes from the beach outfitters associated with realty company. To answer my own earlier questions, there are numerous places to rent bikes but all bikes are the same: no-gear, foot brake, wide handlebar bikes. Everything is flat so they worked very well. You can easily bike to the lifeguard beach--maybe two miles from the farthest point in Ocracoke town. There are bike racks there; in fact there are bike racks everywhere.

Loved the ice cream at the Slushy stand. Great family gathering place, especially in the evening.

Ate at Howard's on the way in. The screened porch was quiet. The food was good--in a fried fish kind of way. Also ate at the Back Porch and were somewhat disappointed. It's a lovely restaurant but we did not think the food was that good but maybe we are spoiled.

Rented kayaks from a place in the marina. Really enjoyed kayaking in the sound and in the creeks.

Went several days to the lifeguard beach. The people who posted that this beach is really crowded have never been to the Jersey shore. We thought it was pretty empty. We encountered very rough surf but enjoyed it anyway. We were surprised at how little the life guards do here--never heard a call or a whistle or anything else. Also recommend going to the beach very early to see the sun rise--beautiful.

Highly recommend Springer's Point preserve. Lovely and nice access on the sound.

Also recommend Deepwater Theater. We saw Molasses Creek. They were good and it was a lot of fun.

Our only negative was the mosquitoes and no see-ums, which we encountered early morning and after dark.

All in all a great week. We'd love to go back.

Ride the Wind
Gift & Speciality Shops, Kayaking & Canoeing
Books to Be Red
Gift & Speciality Shops
Island RagPicker
Gift & Speciality Shops
The Village Craftsmen
Gift & Speciality Shops
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Hope you do I have been going back for 18 years now , Glad you had a good time

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

great report. I spend my time in Duck so this makes Ocracoke very appealing to visit!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

No-see-ums are the worst! I'm glad to hear you had a good time. Curious if you recall the price of bike rentals? I have been going to the island for 22 years now but I am bringing friends this year and they are trying to work out their budget and I just can't recall!

BTW I miss NYC so much. Please go to shake shack for me!

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the report1

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for taking the time to write the report. I don't know when I'll be able to get back to Ocracoke but I enjoy reading the trip reports.. It's a great place.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Great report. One of our favorite places to retreat!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Yes, thank you for your great report. It's so nice to go to a new place and really enjoy it.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for your report, sounds like you had a great week. I laughed at your Jersey shore comment-I grew up vacationing on the shore so I know what you mean. Whenever we are parked on the beach in OINC and someone comes right up next to us, we can guarantee they are from Jersey, MD, or DE-to them that is plenty of room to what they are used to, but to seasoned OINC vacationers-move over haha.

Hope you get back soon!

9. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations