I have been looking for the perfect affordable honeymoon spot for the last few months now, and somehow only recently came across Ocracoke Island. I have spent the last 3 days pouring over websites and forums and I am convinced that this is the right place for us, but I do have some more specific questions. Some were asked in the forum, but it was several years ago...others I just never found a good answer to. Maybe you could put a number beside your answer so I know what question you are addressing.
Background information: The honeymoon will be sometime in May, and we will have a 4-wheel drive.
1) Any suggestions for a house/cottage for the two of us? Our budget isn't huge so I wouldn't want anything above 2 bedrooms (preferably just 1).
2) It seems like I've picked up from other websites that it would be possible to find beach spots in May that are almost totally private. Meaning you hardly see anyone else all day. Is this true? Any particular stretch of beach that is less frequented than the other? Seclusion and Privacy are things that we value greatly. In fact, I don't think we would visit Ocracoke during tourist season just because of all the tourists.
3) Is there any sort of grocery store on the island or do we need to take care of that before we get there?
4) How safe is the island? We're somewhat impulsive...if we took the truck somewhere, could we just go walking down the beach for a few hours without worrying about our chairs, blankets, coolers, etc...?
5) Crabbing: I read that it's not terribly hard to catch your own crabs by dropping some bait by one of the docks. Anyone care to give a little more detail about how to do this properly? I have no experience.
6) Fishing: Is there any kind of decent fishing off the shore or docks?
Thanks!! I appreciate the help!
If I think of any more questions I'll add them.Edited: 09 September 2011, 22:09