We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions, Questions, Questions

Chicago
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions, Questions, Questions

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for the perfect affordable honeymoon spot for the last few months now, and somehow only recently came across Ocracoke Island. I have spent the last 3 days pouring over websites and forums and I am convinced that this is the right place for us, but I do have some more specific questions. Some were asked in the forum, but it was several years ago...others I just never found a good answer to. Maybe you could put a number beside your answer so I know what question you are addressing.

Background information: The honeymoon will be sometime in May, and we will have a 4-wheel drive.

1) Any suggestions for a house/cottage for the two of us? Our budget isn't huge so I wouldn't want anything above 2 bedrooms (preferably just 1).

2) It seems like I've picked up from other websites that it would be possible to find beach spots in May that are almost totally private. Meaning you hardly see anyone else all day. Is this true? Any particular stretch of beach that is less frequented than the other? Seclusion and Privacy are things that we value greatly. In fact, I don't think we would visit Ocracoke during tourist season just because of all the tourists.

3) Is there any sort of grocery store on the island or do we need to take care of that before we get there?

4) How safe is the island? We're somewhat impulsive...if we took the truck somewhere, could we just go walking down the beach for a few hours without worrying about our chairs, blankets, coolers, etc...?

5) Crabbing: I read that it's not terribly hard to catch your own crabs by dropping some bait by one of the docks. Anyone care to give a little more detail about how to do this properly? I have no experience.

6) Fishing: Is there any kind of decent fishing off the shore or docks?

Thanks!! I appreciate the help!

If I think of any more questions I'll add them.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 22:09
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

# 1

I can steer you to a site that will give you the rental Co's. and you can look from there . Click on Island info.

http://fishtradewinds.com/

Yes you can and having 4 wheel drive will help head north of the Camp ground you should be able to fine some there, May is when the restrictions start for the bird nesting so you might be a little limited but

i am sure you will find something

Yes there are two but I would get your big stuff on the mainland they have everything you might need but not is large size or big variaty so if there is something you cannot not do with out bring it with you.

Vary safe Never had a thing stolen in 18 years of going, Just don't leave beer in a cooler over night the local kids some time get thirsty.

Never tried it here or have seen many trying it and that might be good, there is a public dock at ferry landing you should give it a try,

Several off shore boats available at SMACNALLY'S RAW BAR & GRILL you just need to drop by and sign up.

Hope this help also some great surf fishing that time of year , The big blues are there then Take a look at this site it also my help if you have never surf fished

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

1. First, check the two websites below to get an idea of prices. If something seems too high or too low for a category you are looking at, there is a good reason—it’s on the water, it has a marsh view, it’s not updated, etc. When you contact the agencies by phone, do mention that this is your honeymoon. My guess is that anyone on the island will want this to be a special visit for you.

Ocracoke Island Realty

ocracokeislandrealty.com/OuterBanks/…

Blue Heron Realty

blueheronvacations.com/vrmgr/search/searchop…

Also check out VRBO.com. There are also some small hotels and bed and breakfasts on the island that might suit your purposes.

2. Even during high season, there are places on the beach that are more secluded, where you can get away from it all. Two or three people may happen by or you may see a group in the distance. Just drive on Highway 12 out of town and look for an area where there are only a few cars or no cars parked. (If you decide to swim on those isolated parts of the beach, do be aware of what to do if you encounter a rip current.) Be aware that you cannot take your 4-wheel drive anywhere on the beach that you want. Areas are set aside for 4-wheel-drives. You truly do not need a 4-wheel drive to get off by yourself, though.

3. There are two grocery stores—Ocracoke Variety Store and the Community Store. Zillie’s island Pantry has some gourmet items, in addition to a large selection of wine. In general, prices are on the high side and selection can be limited on some items. I used to bring lot of food, paper products and canned items, but at some point, I decided to work with what was there, except for a few specialty items that I need. Some people bring everything. It’s a personal call.

4. The island is safe. I go walking down the beach and leave my beach stuff all the time. I would never leave a wallet or cell phone anywhere—it is not in my nature to be quite that trusting. The most important thing to do if you are going to leave for several hours is to make sure that your 4-wheel drive and other stuff are above high tide!

5&6. Fish_oinc will be able to give you some good hints for fishing and crabbing.

I’m sure that LynnVB and others will be able to offer some additional good advice about Ocracoke also.

I am at the end of this and I notice that Fish_oinc has already posted! Ah, well, I will go on and post my take on everything.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 00:03
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

I can't think of much else to add-you have already received great information. I do have a place that we like to stay over on the sound. It is one bedroom with an enclosed screened porch that overlooks the sound, You rent it from the Ocracoke Harbor Inn, in addition to their hotel, they have some houses for rent. Here is the link:

ocracokeharborinn.com/cott_treasurechest.html

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

Nice, LynnVB. Good price for a sound view and sound access. LivetoGive, what do you have budgeted for accommodations?

Make sure and rent bikes for the time you are there. It's a great way to get around town!

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

Something like this... ?

Crabbing could be done off a dock or bulkhead like shown in the pic.

ocracokeislandrealty.com/OuterBanks/…

Comes with Kayaks too!

Fishing right off the beach using small pieces of shrimp for bait should yield a few good dinners for you.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 18:29
Chicago
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

Thanks everyone for the tips...I feel like there's been a lot of good information shared. Ways2go, I'd like to keep accommodation costs under $750 if it all possible. I know that somewhat limits me, but I've been using those realty sites and I there are a few places out there. Thanks for all the links!

question...is camping allowed anywhere on the beach or only on in the campground? If we found a spot out on the beach and felt like spending the night would there be a problem just throwing up a two person tent for the night?

Another thing that kind of confused me...I understand that there are places that you can't take 4WD's now...am i understanding that there are beach areas that you can't even walk on as well? Are those clearly marked? Will you get in fined or is it just a slap on the wrist if you're walking somewhere you shouldn't?

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

You are welcome, Livetogive!

Camping is only allowed in the campground on Ocracoke.

nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

You can camp (primitive camp) on Portsmouth Island, which is a short boat ride from Ocracoke. It is part of the Cape Lookout National Seashore. It's quite beautiful and you will be secluded--but not from the mosquitoes. The following article is a little dated, but relevant.

http://home.comcast.net/~wwrivrrat/portsmouth2.htm

As Fish_oinc said, certain areas of the beach are closed for nesting for part of the year. These areas are *very* clearly marked so you will not be able to plead ignorance. I've heard that people have been fined but I have not been keeping very close tabs on that; perhaps others know more about that. This is a political hot potato and strong opinions exist on both sides of this issue.

We have a 4WD we take on the beach but at times we enjoy going to the beach where there are no vehicles. Sometimes those beaches provide more privacy because people generally don't walk very far at all from where they enter the beach. People are much more mobile in a 4WD.

I'm not trying to muddy the water, but you and your fiance might enjoy Carova Beach on Corolla Island. I have never stayed there and do not know what's available in rentals, but that possibly may be more your cup of tea. Just a thought.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g49058-d11…

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

NPS has a camp ground but no hook ups, and it is a few miles out of town but just over the dune from the Ocean,There are two others on the Island both in town, Teeters is the nicest with some trees and mostly grassy lots . The other is more like a parking lot behind a store, No trees and gravel lot Ok with a camper but I wouldn't tent there In my opinion.

Here is a suggestion if you want to come in on budget, Try Edwards of Ocracoke they have some cottages that will get you there also Sand dollar has a small cottage too and both have efficiency too

www.edwardsofocracoke.com/our%20accom.2.html

www.ocracokeisland.com/sand_dollar_motel.htm

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

Thanks, fish_oinc. I neglected to mention the private camping. I was focused on camping near/on the beach.

Livetogive, fish_oinc is absolutely right. The NPS campground is not directly on the beach--it is just behind the dunes. The dunes block a lot of the wind and It can get rather buggy at times.

10. Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations