We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

To all who will visit Ocracoke or Hatteras Island and plan on driving on the beach after February 15th-here is information you need to know.

http://www.nps.gov/caha/index.htm

MD
Level Contributor
767 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

Wow. I don't vacation where you drive on the beach, so not directly impacted, but $50 permit seems steep, not to mention very inconvenient. So every Saturday, everyone arriving in those areas needs to not only check in to get keys to their place, but then they need to go to the NPS to get a permit before they can go to the beach?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

Right, and as of now there are only three NPS offices to accomodate the influx of tourists and locals. Very inconvenient with a most likely negative economical impact for an already hard hit community.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

Marylander, there are still miles of pedestrian-only beaches. You might enjoy this area more than you think!

Oh, and "everyone" does not need to get a permit--just those who want to drive on the ORV beach areas.

Edited: 03 February 2012, 16:16
MD
Level Contributor
767 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

I've been tempted to try the surf at Frisco since it's likely to be much warmer than Corolla. But my family is pretty in love with the Corolla/Duck area for off-beach activities and restaurants. Going that far south would definitely be a tough sell.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

All areas of the OBX are beautiful and offer different things. We spent many vacations in Duck and Corolla. We tried Avon area and points south and have never gone back North again.

Maybe you could ask to try for just one year? :)

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

It would be a bit further, Marylander. You would love the beautiful beaches, though.

I think what families love about Ocracoke, in particular, is that the kids--and adults-- can bicycle all over town. That's hard to do anywhere these days. I actually have seen people bicycling to the beach and I just want to say to them, "More power to you!"

::Meanwhile, Ways2go starts searching for the car keys and the sunblock:: LOL

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

This will be something to watch and see

Ocracoke, North...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

There is a campground on Ocracoke that is offering a discount to offset the price of the ORV permit fee for those not used to that expense in the budget. Maybe Fish_oinc could talk to Laurie at Ocracoke Station on Ocracoke and find out these details for the rest of the crowd? Thanks for the help...

9. Re: New Off Road Vehicle Regulations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 10:39
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke