We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

chapel hill north...
1 post
Save Topic
places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

wanted to know if anyone had some ideas on any motels/hotels on the beach in ocracoke we are new to north carolina coming in from chapel hill and have heard great things about all of the outer banks but just don't know where to stay

thanks

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

Hi tex1! I am pasting TA's websites for reviews on hotels and one for its' B&Bs, in case you haven't looked at these. I am also including another website that lists hotels and amenities for each. Perhaps you will see something in your price range and with features you need.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g49407-Ocracoke_Outer…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g49407-Ocracoke_Outer…

ocracokevillage.com/hotels_and_motels.html

Let us know if you have questions. Good luck!

MB

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

There are no hotels on the Beach, ocean side however they are mostly located around Silver Lake the harbor there where all the activity is. You might find a house sound side or sound front, but there is little beach there.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

As other posters have stated, there are no oceanfront homes on Ocracoke. I would try beaches further North such as Hatteras or Avon if that is what you are looking for. Another note, although you can park and walk to the beach, a 4 wheel drive is the best way to experience the beauty of Ocracoke Beaches.

USA
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

You might try the Horizon condos. They are on the sound side beach.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

The first question is, what is your daily budet on room and board and what do you usually require in a hotel? Second question is, what month are you planning to go? Third question is, how much civilization do you need to be comfortable?

The beaches on Oracoke are better than the other parts of the Outer Banks because there is no beach development and the beaches are not crowded on OINC. You will not have the shops/stores/movies, etc on OINC that you will have in the other places up north. This is what makes Ocracoke much more appealing, at least to me personally. How you answer the above will determine what can be recommended.

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

Ocracoke is VERY laid back. There is just not much there, not even in the way of places to stay. If I were you, I would stay on Hatteras Island. There is more availability in the way of places to stay and also places to go to the grocery. Avon has a very nice Food Lion. Hatteras is a good base point to explore the outerbanks from. Ocracoke is just a short ferry ride (about 40 minutes) from Hatteras and makes a nice day trip. Go North and you can visit the other villages easily if you want. Take a day trip into Manteo on Roanoke Island if you are gonna stay a week or so. Manteo has quaint shopping. Take in the Lost Colony play while you are there, and eat at the Full Moon Cafe. Makes for a wonderful day! Ocracoke is beautiful, it is just very isolated. I would stay on Hatteras somewhere, visit Ocracoke and if you really like it, go and stay there another time.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

You can't beat Blackbeard's Lodge

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

Check out this online version of the book for great info on all the Outer Banks:

http://www.insiders.com/outerbanks/

Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

I am currently looking for 1 or 2 nights of lodging on Ocracoke. This will be following our 7 day stay at Avon. Did you already go or do you have any advice for me? I have the Official Guide to theHyde County Mainland & Ocracoke Island 888-493-3826 but was wondering about an inexpensive (I'm a penny pincher but I don't want YUCK!) Any personal experience or advice? I also want to find a way to get the local paper/COUPONS - discount offers?!!

Thanks

Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: places to stay on the beach in oracoke island for families

I am currently looking for 1 or 2 nights of lodging on Ocracoke. This will be following our 7 day stay at Avon. Did you already go or do you have any advice for me? I have the Official Guide to theHyde County Mainland & Ocracoke Island 888-493-3826 but was wondering about an inexpensive (I'm a penny pincher but I don't want YUCK!) Any personal experience or advice? I also want to find a way to get the local paper/COUPONS - discount offers?!!

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations