We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach driving passes

annapolis
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Beach driving passes

I am headed to ocracoke in 2 weeks. We have not been there for a few years, probably 6, I do t remember having to purchase a pass to drive on the beach before. But I read about recently. Is it a year round thing? Both times we have gone in September. Maybe we were just clueless last time and didn't realize we needed one. But want to make sure we have one if we need one this time since it seems more enforced now.

Thanks!

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach driving passes

ORV (off road vehicle) pass link is here, and you do need one to drive on the beach. www.recreation.gov/showPage.do…

map with access points and permitted areas here

nps.gov/caha/…off-road-vehicle-use.htm

you can do it online and then pick up the pass at the Park Service building right before the ferry dock in Ocracoke (dock that serves Cedar Island and Swan Quarter) I think there is a place to pick it up in Hatteras also but you have to specify which one you will pick it up from so they will have it ready when you arrive.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 16:07
annapolis
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach driving passes

Thanks so much!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach driving passes

They were required 3 years ago. $50 for a week or $120 for a calendar year. You can get them at the Hatteras light House and Coquina Beach on Pea Island or Ocracoke.

Clover, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach driving passes

thanks got a new yamaha tw 200 w/ rod racks mounted on it. got lights and blinkees mirrors break light. my fishing mechine... thank you.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach driving passes

A yamaha tw 200 is considered an ATV and I don't think you can drive that on the beach unless you have a handicap sticker which is unlikely

Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
87 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach driving passes

I'm bringing my Jeep Wrangler down this weekend (through Tuesday) and staying in Nags Head. Is there anywhere you can drive on the beach without a permit? I was thinking between ramps 1 and 2 maybe, but couldnt get the NPS to pick up the phone.

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach driving passes

You need a permit to drive on any National Park property, need a seasonal permit for Nags Head and i'm not sure of the dates that starts.

You can drive north to corolla and drive on beach where route 12 paved road ends without a permit.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach driving passes

BareTruth0827 Corolla is the only legal place you can get on the beach with out a permit. Be sure to air down.

Edited: 19 September 2014, 23:36
Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
87 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach driving passes

Thanks for the info!

10. Re: Beach driving passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations