We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife

Hi,

I'll be coming with my business partner for a conference in Raleigh in the beginning of April. I will be staying at the Marriott Hotel by down town. I am looking for a couple of good moderately priced restaurants and some bars that we could go grab a couple of drinks in the evening. Are there going to people around on a Wed or Thursday evening? Am I best going to Glenwood or am I OK sticking with downtown? Also, does anyone know of moderately priced restaurants or some nice bars not too far from our hotel? Thank you very much in advance

David

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife

The Marriot Hotel is located by Crabtree Mall, on Glenwood Ave. There are a lot of bars/restaurants near there, but the other end of Glenwood Ave, called Glenwood South, has a lot of restaurants and bars in walking distance of each other. Just head toward downtown, on Glenwood Ave., and you will reach the area just after you cross Peace Street.

Our favorites in the area:

Hibernian, an Irish Pub/restaurant

42nd St. Oyster Bar

Sullivan's(pricey) but good drinks at the bar

Armadillo Grill(cheap, S/W fare)

Miami
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife

Hi Thanks for your quick reply. I am actually staying at the Hilton North Raleigh. Is that also close to Crabtree or closer to Downtown? Can you walk from Downtown to Glenwood South?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife

The North Raleigh Hilton is about 5 miles from Crabtree as well as about 5 miles from downtown. It's likely a 10 to 15 minute drive to each location.

You *can* walk from Glenwood South to downtown but it's about a 20 minute walk that I doubt you'd want to do.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife

There will be several restaurants and bars just up the street from the North Raleigh Hilton, such as a Lone Star Steakhouse, Hooters, Bahama Breeze, Red Lobster, etc. Of course, your hotel also has a nice bar that stays open until 2am. If you have a vehicle, I would still recommend the Glenwood South area. If you have no vehicle, check with the hotel to see if their shuttle will take you there.......

Miami
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife

Thanks for all of your replies. I am really not that excited about any chain restaurant as I live in South Florida and want to experience some real good NC food. i also would like to hand out in an area were there will be some other people hanging out as well. We will have a car and don't mid driving, but would rather take a taxi if we will be drinking. Is there any good restaurant near our hotel? Should we go outside of raleigh to hang out or will there be people arounf Raleigh? Thanks

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife

David.........For local food, AND to go where the action/people are, I would still recommend the Glenwood South area......Plenty of bars within walking distance of each other......all the taxis know the area well........you'll have fun, and meet a LOT of people.......Raleigh has grown by leaps and bounds the last 20 years, so you will meet people from all over the US here.......kinda' like Florida.......John

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife

David,

As others have said, Glenwood South will be the place. My favorite spot is Hibernian, one of the more authentic Irish Pubs that I know of. It has a great convience of really two bars seperated by a wall, one side is non smoking so you can go and enjoy the cleaner air if that is something that appeals to you. Across the street from Hibernian is a quirky little sandwhich restaruant/bar called The Rockford. On the corner of Glenwood and Peace St there is Mellow Mushroom, if it is nice outside the place will be packed as they have a great outdoor patio, they serve pizza and have a good selection of beer. There are a few clubs on the Glenwood South strip as well. If you are looking for a little more upscale try Prime Only Steak and Seafood on W Jones St. There is also a nice martini bar called Blue Martini close by. If you want a more business casual, nice sit down restaurant, spend a little more money type place think about Second Empire Tavern. My last bit of advice if you want some local NC flavor is to try "the pit", W Davie St. It is more of an upscale setting NC BBQ (pulled pork) joint, the chef is from what many consider the BBQ capitol of the world, Wilson NC and is some of the best in the area. Feel free to ask for more details

SRB

Miami
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife

Thanks to both of you.

The PIT sounds like a cool place ot try. Unfortunately, I don't eat meat out but my buddy does and it sounds good. I'll stick with some Fish. I've been reading about the Raleigh New Times Bar. Is it a place worth checking out? I'm past my club years and am pretty much interested in a cool bar to hang out in and get some food and drinks. Is Glenwood South close by to Downtown Raleigh? Thanks again for all of the info.

David

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife

Glenwood South is considered part of the downtown area. Everyone knows where it is..........

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightlife

As far as nightlife is concerned, Glenwood South IS downtown. There are a few other isolated areas that have some bars and restaurants, but the majority and largest concentration of these are on Glenwood South. I have never be to Raleigh Times Bar so cant tell you about that. The Pit probably will NOT have fish. If you like sushi, try Prime Only Steak and Sushi or Sushi Blues, right beside Hibernian Pub. Hibernian Pub also has a pretty good plate of fish and chips and they pour a great Guinness as well. There is an italian cafe, called 518 West Italian Cafe (518 west jones st) on Glenwood South as well that is very good. A little more business casual than Hibernian. I suggest jeans/slacks and button down shirt and take a cab to Glenwood South, scope it out and take your pick of the different options. To get a feel try taking a look at google maps and use streetview of raleigh.

SRB