We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenville?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greenville?

can anyone tell me anything about Greenville, NC? I know it's about an hour and a half from Raleigh... but my brother has a potential job opportunity there and I don't know a thing about it to tell him!

Thanks for anything you can share!

A

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenville?

For info, try this website..........

http://www.visitgreenvillenc.com/

Greenville is the home of East Carolina University. My cousin is a professor there at ECU, and loves the town. He moved there from Raleigh. .............

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenville?

It's a great college town. It's only about +/- an hour from the beach which is a HUGE plus. It has experienced a lot of growth with many chain stores moving in since I was there in college in the late 90s. But still some great local places. Many great places to eat---Bs BBQ is a local classic.

During the fall, ECU Football is a huge event. Again, many of the local activities revolve around the University scene. Little Washington is a great little town not too far from Greenville that is really pretty.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenville?

I live in Greenville! My boyfriend and I have lived here for 3 years and have enjoyed the experience. We are relocating to the Raleigh area next spring for better job opportunities, however (and I get stir crazy being in one place).

The previous posts were correct:

-ECU football & tailgating = huge

- B's BBQ = local legend (it's a tiny hole in the wall in a run down looking little house; when we first came down and looked for it, we thought it had been closed for years. I am a vegetarian, but my parents beg for it whenever they come down from NH).

-Little Washington is cute. It has a nice boardwalk along the river with a little wetlands area. We go there for photography (turtles, yellow water lotus, water lilies).

Some things we also enjoy are:

-River Park North: cute little park with walking trails, ponds, swamps, lots of opportunities for birding (blue heron, egrets, warblers, cardinals, hawks, comorants, and recently a brown pelican we have seen) and other wildlife (lizards, turtles, snakes).

-Starlight Cafe: in the downtown area, cute cafe with great lunches & dinner, live jazz, and GREAT drinks!

-Bicycle Post Trails: mountain biking trails off highway 43

-East Carolina Runners: organized races throughout the year with the money going to charity (5k, 8k, 10k)

The housing prices are great here; I bought my first house 2 years ago.

If you would like any other questions answered, please let me know. There are many restaurants and stores, Raleigh is a short drive, there's a new movie theater, and there are some good community service opportunities that we take part in every weekend.

Good luck to your brother! :)

Raleigh, North...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenville?

Greenville is a big college town with lots of younger nightlife downtown on the weekends. Lived there for a few years and loved it. Great flea markets!

5. Re: Greenville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 09:30