We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night near RDU

Virginia
Level Contributor
51 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
One night near RDU

My husband and I are spending one night in Raleigh when we fly out from RDU early the next morning. We are looking for a nice hotel near RDU and some restaurant ideas for dinner the night before we fly out. The restaurant doesn't have to be right next to the hotel but within 15 min if possible. We like all kinds of food if it's good :) and a lively atmosphere (this is 1 night away from our baby!). Thanks for your ideas.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night near RDU

Help me a little to give you a better answer. How much are you looking to spend? There is the Umstead Hotel which is top end and near the airport with a great restaurant and spa, or you could just stay at any decent more economical hotel (all the major chains are nearby) and splurge on dinner at Herons, Angus Barn, An (one of my favorites), etc.

There is great ethnic out that way if you are interested.

Or are you interested in great eats that are more moderately priced?

Or do you want to come into Raleigh proper and experience some nightlife? You could get downtown in 15 minutes if it is not rush hour.

Let me get more of a feel on what you want and I can help more!

Virginia
Level Contributor
51 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night near RDU

Thanks for the ideas! I had looked at the Umstead resort but it's a little pricey since we won't spend much time there (arrive into town just in time for dinner and then flight out is at 6am the next day). So a chain hotel is fine as long as it's clean and comfy.

We would like to check out a restaurant in Raleigh proper if you can recommend a few good ones. We don't necessarily want to spend $200 on dinner but do like good food (we are amateur foodies) and wine. Atmosphere is important too--lively would be great.

Thanks!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night near RDU

My youngest is six, but I remember that first night away from a new baby. I am going to make a couple suggestions, and maybe you can walk around between some of them.

First, look here for a dowtown map with dining listings:http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/go-and-do/dining

I would head downtown and park in one of the decks off WIlmington or on the street near the corner of Fayetteville or WIlmington and HArgett. From their, you have several options. The Times Bar on HArgett has a lively crowd, especially if it is a nice night to sit outside, and a good bar menu. One of the best burgers in town and great bbq fries.

For a different "foodie" experience, I would recommend a new middle-eastern restaurant opening next week called Sitti. Normally, I would not send you to a brand new restaurant I have not tried, but it is being opened by the owners of a longstanding local middle eastern place here and I have tasted many of the dishes on this menu at their other place and know them to be great. Many here have been long awaiting the opening of this restaurant. http://www.sitti-raleigh.com/ It is about a block from the Times.

You could then head to Landmark Tavern for a nightcap, or go somewhere and hear some music in walking distance.

THe Duck and Dumpling is a good, upscale Chinese restaurant. The dumplings are their speciality.

Depending on what night it is and your interest, there are also some good music clubs near here....the Lincoln Theater. SLims and the Pour House. Pour House is on one side of Duck and Dumpling and Tin Na Nog is on the other. I would not recommend TNN for food, but it has a good beer selection and music.

Another very lively area is Glenwood South. There, I think the my favorite place is Zely and Ritz, a tapas place with great wine and very well made cocktails (made from fresh fruit, not sugary stuff) after dinner there, you have your pick of bars, clubs, cupcakes, etc. all up and down Glenwood South.

For another foodie adventure, I would recommend J. Betski's over in Seaboard. THeir food is german and polish, but not what is now conjured up in your head. Very fresh, homemade food and good service. Great for this time of the year. You can sit outside too. http://www.jbetskis.com/

I am probably forgetting something, but sure you will get other suggestions.

4. Re: One night near RDU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 23:19