We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raleigh to Washington

Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Raleigh to Washington

Hi all,

I may be travelling from Raleigh to Washington in April 09 and I wanted to ask the best way to get there?

I have researched flights and it seems only one airline flies directly and it costs around £180 per adult, which seems horrific (I don't recall the airline).

The cheapest way seems to be to fly with US Airways via Charlotte to Baltimore Washington Airport at about £57 per adult; would everyone agree or does anyone have any other suggestions? If anyone knows whether a new airline is releasing this route as a new route in 2009 that would be great? I realise that flying via Charlotte will take a lot longer but with Washington Dulles airport being 26 miles from Washington centre, it seems worth considering going to Baltimore Washington Airport as that is only 32 miles away.

Thanks in advance.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raleigh to Washington

Can you drive? It's only a 4-hour drive to DC from Raleigh and is much cheaper.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raleigh to Washington

I would drive, also, but you might want to check out the train. AMTRAk has pretty good service and will drop you off right in town.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raleigh to Washington

I agree with Jeem...if driving isn't an option then I'd definitely take the train. There's only a handful of stops between Raleigh and DC and the route is pretty direct. Once you consider that you don't have the long lines that airports have, the luggage check-in/check-out process, long lines at security, etc etc....the train is just a better option for such a short journey, period.

And Greyhound Buslines is yet another easy option, too.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
762 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raleigh to Washington

I vote the train too. It lets you off in beautiful Union Station in D.C. which is also a metro station, so you can get anywhere you want to go in town. If you are coming from UK, I think a train ride would be preferable than a 4 hour drive (on the wrong side of the road, no less!)

Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raleigh to Washington

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help so far; much appreciated.

I won't have a car, so unless I hire one, driving won't be a possibility but I would consider hiring a car if I will be able to drop it off in DC.

So, based on what everyone knows, would you have an idea of how much it might cost? It would need to be a mid-sized car, as I will have a reasonable amouint of luggage and will be travelling with my wife and my 18-month old son.

Also, Amtrak was mentioned; is this the only train company to use? I see it will cost about $90 for all 3 of us and takes about 6 hours.

Thanks in advance.

Virginia
Level Contributor
348 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raleigh to Washington

You can drop off a car in a different city from where you pick it up for any of the major car rental places. I think a typical 24 hour rental of a mid-size car is about $150. Try searching for Avis, Enterprise, and Budget- I think they all have Raleigh locations.

7. Re: Raleigh to Washington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 01:19