We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach...any must sees??

hot springs, ar
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach...any must sees??

We are a family of 4 (parents 40 somethings and 2 girls 12 & 20) we will fly into Raleigh,NC and drive to Myrtle Beach, SC. We would like to know if there are any must see's or must do's on the way? Hubby was born in Fayetteville, NC but moved to Calif when he was a baby so this will be his first time to be in his birth state. Not sure if we will drive right after flying in or if we will stay the night before driving to myrtle beach. Any suggestions?

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach...any must sees??

Hi Gottago,

I saw your duplicate post on the MB forum, and I don't think there's much to add to what's been posted there. I'd say there aren't really any "must do/see" things, but if you really want to fill some time then Wilmington is probably your best bet. It's a charming town, especially the waterfront area, and the USS North Carolina battleship memorial is very interesting although it may not appeal as much to girls (don't mean to be sexist, of course, but it seems that's the way it is).

Overall I'd say you should just drive straight through to the beach and enjoy all it has to offer. It's only 3 hours or so from Raleigh.

Hope you have a great time!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach...any must sees??

Wilmington is well out of the way. I have heard the 82nd Airborne Museum is worth seeing but your daughters may be less than excited. I would just put my head down and go.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach...any must sees??

Located just on the South Carolina side of I-95, is the infamous South of the Border complex. Everyone should stop at least once. If you haven't been, just watch for the billboards. You can't miss it........

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach...any must sees??

Yes, South of the Border is an East-Coast/I-95 institution!

hot springs, ar
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach...any must sees??

What is the south of the border complex??

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach...any must sees??

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2211

At South of the Border you will find many fellow travelers. Many.

The 82nd Airborne Museum is really impressive, but I agree that's the girls may roll eyes. Have fun.

7. Re: Driving from Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach...any must sees??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2009, 05:16