We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting an IT business in Raleigh

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Starting an IT business in Raleigh

Hi everyone. My husband and I are both French. We would like to relocate to the RTP area to start an IT consultancy. We will be running the business from home and are trying to decide where to settle down. I am looking for a place that would remind me of Europe, with a historic dowtown, historic buildings ...and my husband would like to be near high tech corporations so that he doesn't have to spend too much time on the road each day once he secures contracts.

We have a 15 months old baby who speaks French and English. Are there any bilingual schools, charter schools, private schools, in the area?

Is there anybody out there who's made the move from abroad?

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Where would the best place to live be, in terms of proximity to large corporations? We have a 15 months old son and will still want to expose him to French. Are there any Franco-American schools, clubs, local associations?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting an IT business in Raleigh

You're out of luck for this area as far as historic downtown areas that remind you of Europe. Most of the IT corporations are located in Research Triangle Park (RTP) which is an industrial park with little housing close by. RTP is approximately 15 minutes from downtown Durham, 15 minutes from downtown Chapel Hill, and 25 minutes from downtown Raleigh.

Mentioned in this post
Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting an IT business in Raleigh

Frogeater - It's hard to tell you of a place that would remind you of home, since I don't know that much about Europe (sorry!). I live in Chapel Hill, which has a international flavor, mainly because we are home to the University of North Carolina, and students from around the world come here to study. We are about 15 minutes from teh RTP area. Take a look at these web sites, along with all the links. You might want to look carefully at the second link I've posted, a review of Carrboro, a little town which adjoins Chapel Hill, that calls itself "Paris of the Piedmont". The web site talks about how diverse Carrboro is, to include the numbers of individuals from other countries who call Carrboro home.

northcarolinatravels.com/chapelhill/index.htm

northcarolinatravels.com/carrboro/…index.htm

Mentioned in this post
University of North Carolina
University of North...
480 Reviews
Chapel Hill, NC
Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill
North Carolina