We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill

Baltimore
2 posts
Save Topic
Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill

We're planning a quick trip (about 3 days) to North Carolina for a look around (we may be moving to the Triangle). Right now, we'd like to get a feel of the area.

We have a car, so we can drive around.

Which of these cities is a better walking city, with hotels, attractions and dining somewhat within walking distance of each other.

Thank you!

Baltimore
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill

OOPS! My bad. Just noticed a thread with my exact same question from February: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g49021-i1384-k2539…

Most folks are recommending Chapel Hill.

If anyone wants to add anything that would be great!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill

Hard to pick, really. All three cities have been doing great things in recent years improving their downtowns and creating great walkable areas with all the dining, etc close together. Whichever you choose to stay in, be sure to try to visit all three.

Chapel Hill is probably most pedestrian-friendly because simply the town's layout has the college area in downtown. Whereas in Durham and Raleigh, the college areas are separated from downtown, creating their own miniature "downtown-like" areas.

It is worth nothing though that Raleigh's downtown has far more hotel room options than either Chapel Hill or Durham currently. So that might be worth considering.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill

Chapel Hill is a very special place; to many of us it's known as the "southern part of Heaven". If you're looking for a truly unique stay, I'd pick Chapel Hill. Stay in the Carolina Inn, and take in the beautiful university campus, museums, planetarium, beautiful historic buildings/homes and the restaurants and shops (plus atmosphere) on Franklin Street.

Raleigh has some nice places, museums, etc. plus a wide range of hotels/restaurants but is more of your regular mid-size southern city.

Durham, I'd pass.

NC
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill

Chapel Hill is the perfect place to spend a weekend. You can pretty much view all the sites (which are mostly related to the university) during that time. I'd suggest visiting the Dean Dome, the Planetarium, Old Well, Franklin St. and even Carrboro for some cheap eats. Chapel Hill, in my opinion, is the most walker friendly. Downtown Raleigh comes second.

5. Re: Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 05:19