We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Raleigh - visiting for the weekend

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
6 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Raleigh - visiting for the weekend

My husband, 8 month old, and I are moving to Raleigh in a year and are visiting next weekend to check out the city and figure out where to lives, neat places to see/eat, etc. I was wondering where would be a good place to stay that is reasonably priced in an area that we would consider moving. We love the outdoors, jogging, walking around neat neighborhoods (not your cookie cutter houses!). We heard great things about Apex and North Hills? We want to get a good feel of the city prior to moving. Thanks!!

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Raleigh - visiting for the weekend

I suggest you contact a good real estate office for your information.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Raleigh - visiting for the weekend

Apex is ok if you're into bland suburbs that remind you of "The Stepford Wives". LOL

If you're coming from Chicago then I think you would fit more at home in areas "Inside The Beltline", that is, areas inside the I-440 loop. These are well-established neighborhoods closer in that require less driving and are more convenient.

Stay at a hotel downtown to be central and close to these neighborhoods, I'd say. The Clarion on Hillsborough Street is a good medium-priced one.

The Sheraton downtown is a good one too, and if you feel like splurging, the Marriott City Center would be a great stay. Both those two are great because you can easily walk to all the dining and sights downtown.

Edited: 07 January 2010, 13:12
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
433 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Raleigh - visiting for the weekend

I feel like Apex is to far away from everything. Our friends complain about having to drive to Raleigh all the time for work and play.

Look in NW Raleigh, Inside the beltline (older houses)

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Raleigh - visiting for the weekend

Raleigh Rob has some great suggestions, as usual and I agree that downtown is a great place to stay to get to know Raleigh. North Hills is also an option, they have a Renaissance Hotel right there and you can walk right out into the new "walkable mall" with restuaurants, shopping (high end boutiques, Target and Penneys), and a movie theater....but still a mall. But you would be near some more affordable non-cookie cutter :right outside the Beltline" housing (being touted these days as Midtown) in the North HIlls area.

Do you know what area you will be working in? Price range, so we can suggest an area to stay that will be close to wear you are looking.

Also, in case this thread gets too "relocation" than "travel" and closed (against the forum rules), then head over to City-Data,com for relocation advice. But we stand ready over here to give you more info for planning your weekend!

5. Re: Moving to Raleigh - visiting for the weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 07:19