We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When are golf courses open in North Carolina?

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
Level Contributor
631 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
When are golf courses open in North Carolina?

Helping my nephew and two of his buddies plan a golfing vacation, and they've chosen North Carolina. Question: who has the best city for golfing and how soon are they open? Can you golf in February? March? Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When are golf courses open in North Carolina?

Golf courses are open year round in NC, except for rare occasions of severe weather. The most well known areas for golf in NC would be Pinehurst http://www.pinehurst.com/ and the Brunswick Islands along the southern NC coast. …visitnc.com/collection/North_Carolinas_Brun…

There are also a large number of golf courses along the coast just over the state-line in the Myrtle Beach, SC area. My husband and about 30 of his buddies hold their annual golf tournament in the Brunswick Islands,NC-Myrtle Beach, SC area each February. There are great deals on golf and lodging during the cooler, off-season months. Some years during their February tournament, they play in shorts, other years they must wear long underwear under their clothes, but they always love playing golf!

dfb
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: When are golf courses open in North Carolina?

Agree that except for surprise extreme storms, golf would be more or less year round in NC. You can even purchase ready-made golf tours...

http://www.mcconnellgolftrail.com/

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
746 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When are golf courses open in North Carolina?

Pinehurst and Southern Pines are golf meccas. Start your research here: www. Pinehurst.com. There are accomadations and packages to suit all budgets.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: When are golf courses open in North Carolina?

The previous posters are exactly right, in NC I know of two great areas for golf: Pinehurst/Southern Pines and the coast starting at Wilmington and extending down to the SC border near Myrtle Beach. Generally speaking, the packages in the Myrtle Beach area tend to be somewhat less expensive, although there are bargains near Pinehurst, and expensive places at the beach. The courses along the beach tend to be flatter, with more marsh and water, while near Pinehurst its more rolling. As far as timing, I've played on New Years in Pinrhurst, but I wouldn't plan a golf trip then. Last February we had snow around President's Day, and many of the courses were closed for a day, but that's a real rarity. If it was me, and I was planning for February, I'd go further south. If he's set on North Carolina, I'd plan for March or later.

Truth in advertising, I own a condo at one of the many gofl resorts near Pinehurst, and we rent it out for golf packages. I prefer the style of golf in Pinehurst, and love the small-town atmoshpere there.

5. Re: When are golf courses open in North Carolina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 05:16