We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown hotel?

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown hotel?

Hi there. As noted in an earlier post, we will be in Raleigh for one night. We'll be arriving very late and would like to have a night cap somewhere downtown.

The Day's Inn Downtown seems pretty economical --- any thoughts on whether it's a nice hotel?. Is it in a good location? We'd want to be able to walk somewhere as soon as we arrive, and time will be of the essence.

Thanks a million for any advice! I checked the hotel reviews and it was hard to get a handle on where places were located relative to to the "downtown strip" (i.e., where the bars and restaurants are).

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown hotel?

Well, it's probably no more or less nice than your average Days Inn. I'm sure for one night for a low price it'll suit your needs. The location is ok...it is right off a main road (Dawson). Technically, it's a Motel rather than a hotel though.

As far as walkability goes, it is decent 5-10 minute walk to the Glenwood South district which is one of the high concentrations of restaurants, bars, cafes and so forth.

Edited: 24 March 2011, 12:47
dfb
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown hotel?

I'm pretty flexible about places to spend a night, and I live in walking distance from that Day's Inn and I am not sure I'd stay there or walk around there after dark. Honestly, your best bet for your stated purpose of walking late at night for a nightcap would be the downtown Sheraton or Marriott, 2nd choice might be the Clarion for Glenwood South (not that I think you'd be a whole lot safer here but it would be a much shorter walk!), 3rd choice would be the Hillsborough St. Holiday Inn for Hillsborough St.

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown hotel?

Hey, thanks for the responses.

dfb, are you saying that the Glenwood South area isn't safe? I've never been to Raliegh and so don't have the slightest clue about neighbourhoods, etc. We just want to go for a fun drink or two, and not have to worry too much about watching our backs!

If Glenwood South is a problem, is there any kind of happenin' spot in Raleigh that is safer?

Thanks again!

dfb
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown hotel?

No, not necessarily though historically there have been some assaults on people walking home late at night after leaving Glenwood South. As always one should be alert to one's surroundings.

More the problem is the area that you would walk through from the Day's Inn to Glenwood South. The Day's Inn is right at the cusp of downtown, behind it is a divided highway heading north out of town. At the Day's Inn the highway becomes 2 one-way streets on either side of the motel. There is a small restaurant in the parking lot, but other than that it is surrounded by warehouses, parking lots, government buildings that are all dark at night. The walk from Day's Inn to Glenwood South goes by an industrial/train tracks/Greyhound station area that in my travels through the small area is always busy with less than savory foot traffic. Now I am a woman and when alone get a lot of catcalls and harrassment at any time of day I walk or drive through there, but I really wouldn't walk through there after bar closing. I just think the walk from the Clarion to Glenwood South would be shorter and through a more active and well lit area.

I guess I am just thinking that walking around downtown Raleigh after bar closing, it would be safer to be in a well-trafficked, well-lit area with more pedestrians around, or at least a more pedestrian friendly neighborhood. The Day's Inn is just not in that kind of physical location. As long as you understand that and are comfortable with it, you should be fine though.

dfb
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown hotel?

If Raleigh can be considered to have a happen' night life, Glenwood South is probably it!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown hotel?

Don't worry Glenwood South is very safe...dfb was just talking the walk between there and Days Inn. (Probably due partially to the Greyhound station.) Personally, as a young single male who lived downtown for a decade, I didn't think it was that bad, but everyone has a different experience I guess.

I do agree Clarion is a much nicer hotel and in a more pedestrian-friendly area. (The covered parking is a plus too.) It's close to Glenwood South, but also to "Warehouse District", where there's alot of nightclubs and bars as well.

The other two main downtown hotels are pricier...the Marriott and Sheraton. They aren't near Glenwood South but are close to the Fayetteville Street and Moore Square districts....which have nightlife and dining but less concentrated and somewhat scattered. (However more upscale and urban.)

Downtownraleigh.org has some great maps and listings of nightlife.

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown hotel?

Thanks, everyone. Really appreciate all the info!

8. Re: Downtown hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 11:18