We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun things to do for a 4 and 1 year old

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, Florida
5 posts
Save Topic
Fun things to do for a 4 and 1 year old

We are heading to Raleigh the last week in March to investigate a possible move to the area.

What are some fun things to do with kids? Where are some great playgrounds?

Thanks for any ideas!

Michigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun things to do for a 4 and 1 year old

We are also headed to Raleigh the end of March and are also wondering to do there! I suppose there is always the Biltmore Mansion, the Science Museum, and I'm sure there will be lots of parks!

We are going to area to look at homes, primarily, but will definitey need some entertainment for our kids, ages 3, 6, 4 and 17.

What areas are you considering living in? We are open all areas but my one concern is the 540 hwy which looks like it could cut through Cary. Any scoop on where that massive concrete structure will be located when completed?

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
159 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun things to do for a 4 and 1 year old

We're visiting right now, and yesterday saw what looked like a cute mini golf course & gokart place off of 1/Capital Blvd that looked fun (probably not for the 1 & 4 year olds, but older kids). I think it was called Adventure something. We may check it out tonight. Not sure what else is around; I'll let you know if I see anything else!

As for 540, it shows on our map of Raleigh from AAA that the proposed expansion will go outside of Cary & Apex (a little bit west of 55), down right before Holly Springs (where it then heads back east of 55) and then it heads off the map but should go south of Garner as it comes back north toward Knightdale (where it then connects to the recently completed road). If you have AAA (or a friend who will help), stop by and get a copy of this map as it's been pretty helpful for our trips!

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun things to do for a 4 and 1 year old

1. The Biltmore House is in Asheville, FOUR hours away from Raleigh.

2. For a 4 yr old and 1 yr old, I would recommend the following:

Playspace on Glenwood Ave. near downtown Raleigh, Museum of Natural Science in downtown Raleigh, Pullen Park near NC State University in Raleigh, and the Museum of Life and Science just off I-85 in Durham.

Cary, NC
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun things to do for a 4 and 1 year old

There's also a wonderful science museum in Durham (along with a live butterfly exhibit - might not be open yet - usually a summer event). The Durham Bulls are also great if they're playing in town.

Good playground at Bond Park in Cary - also has lake w/ boat rentals. Skate park in Cary too - not sure of your kids ages.

efland, nc
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun things to do for a 4 and 1 year old

emerald point waterpark is in greensboro, about 1hr west of raleigh...not sure if they are open yet, but google it and c what it says........we spent many days there over the yrs, and kids love it and its so safe and contained