We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation in area?

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
137 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
vacation in area?

I got scheduled for a work trip to Raleigh during a fall week that school is out. Trying to make lemonade!

If my family drives up to meet me, is there anything in the area that would make a fun vacation? We would be interested in a bike path, hiking, paddling, as well as city strolling and anything that might be interesting to teens.

thanks!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
741 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation in area?

Hmmm. I've got a teen and now they can be tough to please. Are they interested in sports? You could see if Duke, UNC or NC State have some type of game to see? Or just tour a campus? My kids seem to love seeing college campuses. NC State is very near downtown Raleigh, so easy to get to and with the brickyards, etc. very cool to see. And the students are back. Downtown Chapel HIll/Franklin Street can be fun to walk/shop/eat cupcakes.

What week? There are TONS of big events coming up that would be great to be able to catch.

I think the new wing of the Museum of Natural Science is very very cool, even for teens. Just opened a months ago and not your average science musuem. Tons of labs, etc. http://naturalsciences.org/

Raleigh is a very fun town to be in at night, especially on weekends, as there are lots of people out and about and you can use the free Rline bus or pediciabs (the most fun) to get anywhere. There may be a concert at the Downtown Raleigh Ampitheater. Or you could do an Rline ramble, where you have an app in one district and then hop the rline, go to another district, have dinner, so on and so on, then back to your hotel...assuming its downtown.

Raleigh has some of the best greenway trails in the country. www.trianglegreenways.org/trail-maps.html The trail out to the NC ARt museum is fun and there is a scuplture trail for hiking once you get there. And not just a little walk around a courtyard..through the woods a bit, and they have a very cool cloud chamber which is really a hut that is itself a pinhole camera(hard to explain..but my kids love it). The new NCMA is a very cool building with some very great art, including one of the largest collections of Rodin's in the world...and a nice restaurant.

For paddling, here is some options: froghollowoutdoors.com/index_files/Page4487.…

I have a friend that does midnight full moon group kayak trips at Jordan Lake every full moon and says its the greatest thing ever....tempting.

I'll think of more when I have time.

Edited: 31 August 2012, 13:59
Atlanta
Level Contributor
137 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation in area?

Thank you!

3. Re: vacation in area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 10:18