We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a few days with 2 girls (15 & 11)

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
a few days with 2 girls (15 & 11)

hi, we'll be in myrtle beach SC beginning on thu nov 22nd (Tday) but want to do something possibly in raleigh for a few days before that. so our dates would be sat or sun (17th or 18th) through wed (21st).

we have 2 girls (15 & 11). between the 4 of us, we're interested in things like volleyball, art, watching sporting events, horse riding, local culture, concerts, outdoor activites such as hiking and the like, fun interactive stuff, original local (good) restaurants and of course, with girls.. shopping. or anything unique and fun that i haven't mentioned.

can anyone recommend a few things for us? i don't find many replies when i search for stuff to do with teens on this forum. maybe raleigh isn't the best place to visit before myrtle beach, but i've always been interested in your great state.

thanks!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
613 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a few days with 2 girls (15 & 11)

I don't have the event calendar at hand, but I would suggest trying visitnc.com as a starting point. Then I would explore the sports calendars for each of the major universities in our area. The local 4-H has a big horsemanship group and I know that they show at the fairgrounds during the fall, so you could look at that site as well.

Umstead park would certainly offer some opportunities for outdoor activities, and if your family is interested in history there are several historic sites in Durham that are pretty cool- Stagville, Bennett Place and the Duke Homestead. The Duke Gardens are pretty cool, too.

Downtown Raleigh offers several museums; the Museum of Art is featuring a Still Life collection at the moment and we enjoy the Audobon exhibit there as well as the sculpture garden.

IMO, Raleigh is one of those places where you have to work pretty hard to be bored. Just about anything you'd want to do is available if you look around for it.

Since you are thinking of being in the area for several days, also consider Carrboro, Chapel Hill for visits.

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a few days with 2 girls (15 & 11)

thank you!!

dfb
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: a few days with 2 girls (15 & 11)

On the 17th, it looks like the Raleigh Christmas Parade is on in downtown plus a couple of other events.

godowntownraleigh.com/event-calendar/2012/11

For volleyball, it looks you have a couple of chances to see NCSU women play.

gopack.com/sports/…ncst-w-volley-sched.html

The NC Museum of Art is a good one with an outdoor art walking trail that might be of interest. The downtown museums history and science might also be of interest.

There are lots of good local restaurants. You might want to narrow it down to what kind of food you're interested in or what part of town you will be wanting to have a meal in.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a few days with 2 girls (15 & 11)

As a parent with teens I can tell you the highlight of our Raleigh trip was (A) North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences (free admission), and (B) the H & M store at Crabtree Valley Mall (not so free :))

http://naturalsciences.org/

crabtree-valley-mall.com/stores/…h-and-m

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a few days with 2 girls (15 & 11)

thank you so much everyone.

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a few days with 2 girls (15 & 11)

Check TarheelBlue.com. There is some women's volleyball scheduled in Chapel Hill in that time frame. Also swim meet. In addition there is a neat Basketball museum at UNC and Franklin Street. There is a large art museum uptown too.

7. Re: a few days with 2 girls (15 & 11)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 09:15