We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

Oswego, IL
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are going to Raleigh (staying at the Hyatt) March 16-19, we've both have never been and don't know what to expect. Can anyone recommend any fun activities? We are in our 20's so enjoy going out, museums aren't really our style (although I've heard great things about the science museum). We enjoy the not so touristy spots when it comes to bars and restaurants. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

Can you clarify the location of your hotel? I don't recall any Hyatts downtown. Don't worry about touristy areas though--I honestly can't think of any restaurant here that is geared towards tourists. There are lots of bars and restaurants downtown. Some favorites are Busy Bee Cafe, Coglins (80s bar), the Oxford for dancing. The Pit has NC BBQ. enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
The Pit
The Pit
379 Reviews
Durham, NC
Oswego, IL
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

Thanks for your suggestions! It's the Hyatt place north. I think it's about ten minutes away from the actual downtown area.

nc
Level Contributor
211 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

Check out Goodnights comedy club.

Mentioned in this post
Goodnights Comedy Club
Goodnights Comedy Club
19 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
nc
Level Contributor
211 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

If you can cancel that Hotel. Check out Hampton Inn and Suites that just opened in Dec at 600 Glenwood/Downtown. Just stayed there this weekend for a friends birthday. Several bars within walking distance. Cab ride to the comedy club was only 10 bucks.

Mentioned in this post
Glenwood Grill
Glenwood Grill
247 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

I second ladybenson's recommendation for the Hampton Inn. To experience the best of Raleigh you want to head to Fayetteville Street area and Glenwood South. If you like to walk, you never need to pull out your car again and you can also take advantage of Raleigh's free downtown bus called the R-Line. A variety of places to hit can include: Raleigh Times Bar at Hargett/Wilmington, dinner at The Pit then drinks next door at Spy Bar, a pub crawl on Glenwood South including Brooklyn Heights and View Bar. If you DO want to take in a museum, the Natural Science museum has the Titanic Exhibit through mid April and inside that museum is a great little eatery call The Daily Planet which has a great fish wrap and NC beers. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina
Fayetteville
Fayetteville
North Carolina
Glenwood Grill
Glenwood Grill
247 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
The Pit
The Pit
379 Reviews
Durham, NC
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

I agree. If possible, I would move to the Hampton on Glenwood South, or the Marriott or Sheraton downtown. Either of those three will put you in walking distance to bars and restaurants. If the Hyatt Place is a definite, you can always drive downtown or take a cab. Even without the Titanic exhibit, the natural science museum is a great suggestion. It's also free.

Mentioned in this post
Glenwood Grill
Glenwood Grill
247 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
Pound Ridge, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

How is the location of the Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown, on Wake Towne Drive. We much older [LOL] and not into clubs....although we do like to walk rather than drive from point to point.

Reason I ask is there is a large price difference btw the two locations' the Midtown costs just under $400 for 3 nights whereas the Glenwood costs closer to $800!

Edited: 16 April 2013, 19:01
Mentioned in this post
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
599 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

The Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown is OK if you have a car, but it wouldn't be my first recommendation. You could walk to a strip mall across the street that has The Melting Pot, a sushi restaurant, and a couple of sandwich/burger places. I agree that is a huge price difference. You may also want to check out the hotels in the Crabtree area, so you could walk to the mall. There is a new Hampton Inn there but it would probably be as expensive as the one on Glenwood South. Renaissance at North Hills is also in a nice location but probably would be just as pricey as Glenwood South. Not sure what you are in town for, but you could also consider the Brier Creek area for newer hotels (Embassy Suites and I think another Hampton Inn). This area is further from downtown than the mid-town hotel you are looking at.

Mentioned in this post
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
599 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
Glenwood Grill
Glenwood Grill
247 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
North Hills
North Hills
28 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
787 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

Agree with Haley. It depends on what you are doing while here. Give us some more info and we can advise better. I am older (53) and don't go to clubs, but do like to have dinner, stroll around, see a play, etc downtown. Walking right out the door to lots of nonchain options and museums, etc is a plus.

Pound Ridge, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day visit to Downtown Raleigh

My wife and I are driving our son to NCS for a two week teaching seminar. We've never been to Raleigh so thought we'd take a short road trip with him, spend 2-3 days before he starts his class and then drive home [CT]. He's 28 yrs old, so you can guess our age. We have no specific agenda...just to take in whatever the area is famous for...

Recommendations on must eat places [local cuisine], must see sights [historic tour?] are appreciated. My wife is a shopper so if there's a outlet store complex, she'd luv you! Hotel requirement is somewhere convenient, safe location and reasonably priced. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina