We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

directions from Charlottesville, VA

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
265 reviews
Save Topic
directions from Charlottesville, VA

Which route would you recommend I take to get from Charlottesville, VA to Raleigh? There's at least four possible routes I see from mapquest. On the way down, I'll be leaving after work and will be anxious to get to Raleigh as quickly as possible in the route that minimizes chances for delays. It'll also be after dark at least part of the way. Does this mean I should stick to taking 95 all the way down, or perhaps taking 95 to 85 to rt. 1? Would either be quicker than the other? 85 is more direct but i don't know if that last stretch along rt 1 might slow things down. Or is there a better route than either 95 or 85?

On the way back up, I'll be driving in the afternoon and will have more time to enjoy the scenery. If I plan on stopping off at Chapel Hill on the way, would either 15 or 29 from there make more sense? If so which one? Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: directions from Charlottesville, VA

I'd probably take I-85. It's much less traveled than I-95, but I'm not sure about where you'd peel off to come into Raleigh. Where in Raleigh are you going? That might make a difference. I'm in Chapel Hill and have been on 85 to 95 to go up to DC several times, but I pick 85 up in Durham. It's a pretty good road.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: directions from Charlottesville, VA

i'm staying at the doubletree on Hillsborough between nc state campus and downtown Raleigh. It looks from the map that it won't make a big difference if I decide to come in on either 85 or 95. both seem the same distance from the doubletree. the hotel is closer to the 29 and 15 side, but only by a few miles, so i'm not sure that'd be enough to sway me from 85. i'm glad you said that - 85 was the way I am leaning towards. thanks.

3. Re: directions from Charlottesville, VA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 05:17