We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluegrass weekend restaurant recommendations?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
244 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Bluegrass weekend restaurant recommendations?

Hello!

We are excited to come to your beautiful city this Thursday - Sunday for the International Bluegrass Musician Association Fan Fest. I am hoping some of you can recommend a few interesting and maybe off the beaten path restaurants/pubs/bars. We love home cooking, and are not afraid of hole-in-the-wall spots that come recommended. We are looking to avoid national chains/fast food restaurants and are hoping to stay within walking distance of downtown (staying at the Sheraton). We are urban walkers, so do not mind long walks, especially if it means something tasty and maybe slightly less crowded.

Thank you!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
768 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bluegrass weekend restaurant recommendations?

Sorry for the delay....busy week! I know you are already here, cause downtown is already filling with the sounds of bluegrass!

My fav downtown places are Raleigh TImes (good beer and bar food, great crowd and rooftop patio), Sitti (upscale, but not fancy, middle eastern), Centro (great mex), Any of Ashley Christianson's places (Beaseley's for fried chicken, Chucks for burgers, Poole's for local), Capitol CIty 16 (eastern european menu, great people watching from outside tables, great vibe), Remedy (tiny place, good drinks and food, some vegetarian options), Humble Pie (best patio in town, plus outside bar, great great food....one of our regular spots).

We don't really have any old standards downtown, unless you count Coopers BBQ. They long since stopped cooking over wood, but still make a passable bbq and GREAT fried chicken. But it is still a classic NC type bbq restaurant to visit. You can also get great, wood smoked Q at The PIt, but do not mistake it for a classic NC Q place....it is new and white tablecloth.

Some of my fav spots in town, but not necessarily for the food, are: Boylan Bridge Brewpub (best view from a patio in the whole city...not to be missed...food and beer just okay, but they make a good cocktail), Busy bee upstairs deck (You can get there by winding up through the restaurant, or cut through the Hive, but it is a nice spot and the food is good).

We will actually be down there tonight, as I am dropping my kids at the Ampitheater to see fun. (a pop band) and will be wandering to find some bluegrass myself (so say hi! :) ) and plan to start the night at Poole's, if we can get in! Have fun!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
244 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bluegrass weekend restaurant recommendations?

Thank you so much! We are actually going to roll in tomorrow morning. So excited and the weather looks perfect. You're recommendations sound great!

A follow up question: Is smoking still allowed in bars and restaurants there? Are there some with non-smoking sections or should we just pack extra clothes, an inhaler, and some Fabreeze?

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
768 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bluegrass weekend restaurant recommendations?

Nope, smoking not allowed. Even in bars!

But you will still see it in some patios.

4. Re: Bluegrass weekend restaurant recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:21