We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for Visit next Weekend

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for Visit next Weekend

Hello,

My wife & I are coming down from NY next weekend (Feb 8th) for the Billy Joel concert on Sunday night. We're staying at the Hamptons Inn/Crabtree.

We'll be getting in early on Saturday so we have the whole day/night on Sat plus whole day Sunday and whole day Monday before our flight to check out your great city. I'm looking for some tips on things to do during the days on Sat/Sunday. My wife is a budding photographer so she loves anything scenic and we also love to be outdoors (barring bad weather of course). I will have a rented car so getting around and going places won't be an issue even to other towns (Chapel Hill?).

Also looking for a great place for dinner on Saturday night. Not looking for upscale (as far as dressy) as we won't be packing dressy clothes but can be an expensive place if it's really good. That's our 1 restaurant dinner night so I want it to be a great, go to place in your area. We are partial to seafood but open to anything you suggest. and again don't care where it is as I'll have the car.

Also for Nightlife on Saturday night, is my best bet the downtown area? I assume I can park my car at a municipal lot somehwere centrally located and we'll be able to get around on foot? Any tips for nightlife would be greatly appreciated. We are in our late 30's so we're not looking for anything crazy like college hangouts. More just nice places to go and hang maybe with live music and/or dancing.

Thank you so much.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

Here is one possible ( fair weather )

After or before check-in drive to Chapel Hill, park at the Morehead Planetarium on Franklin Street and walk up through campus to the Old Well and posibly beyond, then up and down Franklin Street, stopping for lunch at Spankey's or Top of the Hill, or similar. Then slip over to Duke University in Dirham where you wikll find Duke Chapel and gardens and Nasher Museum of Atr ( if that is of interest )

or

If the weather is really nice, go for a hike at Schenck Forest off Edwards Mill Rd. not far from your hotel. This is an "interpretive" forest owned by NCSUand a great place to take about a two mile easy walk. Afterward, you might drive through some of the older neighborhoods closer to downtown to just get a nice sense of the cty.

For dinner, I would recommend either Bloomsbury Bistrot or Glenwood Grill, both of which have excellent food and a nice neighborhood atmosphere. Dress anywhere in raleigh is casual, s no worries there. I especially like the bar seating at the Glenwood Grill. These are just my choices-there are plenty more. They are both easy to get to from Crabtree and both fairly reasonable.

After dinner, you might continue on down Glenwood to Glenwood South, the main concentration of bars and restaurants in Raleigh. Just a few blocks further down there are a number of bars and restaurants in downtown or the warehouse area.

Sunday, before the concert, you could do whatever you missed, or check out the NC Museum of Art, also convenient to the hotel, or one of the other museums in the downtown area.

If the weather is really bad, Crabtree is a very large and actually a pretty mice mall

I hope you have a great visit

NC
Level Contributor
397 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

The N.C. Museum of Art. Free! Excellent collection in an amazing building,,,and - miles of beautiful trails around the complex.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

Thanks. Looks like it's going to be rainy. Any additional suggestions considering the weather of things to do?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

I would recommend the NC Museum of Art which is fairly convenient to your hotel. I think the Porsche Exhibit, which is pretty cool, has been held over.

State and UNC are both playing away games on Saturday, but the Hurricanes will be playing Friday and Saturday at PNC Arena, site of your concert. Tickets should be available on StubHub or at the gate.

There is always the Mall, which is actually pretty nice.

If the weather is not too bad, I still think you would enjoy a ride over to Chapel Hill and to Durham to see Duke

Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

flea market saturday at the state fairgrounds, the bar at the umstead hotel for a bite to eat. music in the evening.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
741 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

Its First Friday in downtown Raleigh this weekend, so it will be a lively fun place to be with restaurant specials, galleries open, etc. godowntownraleigh.com/first-friday-raleigh Always a great time. Contemporary Art Musuem, Flanders, VAE, Designbox, Artspace, Mahler are all great places to see. Fav bar/resturants while you are bumping around are Raleigh TImes, Centro, Sitti, Humble Pie, Fiction Kitchen, Busy Bee....I could go on and on.

Sad to say the Porsche Exhibit at NCMA ended last weekend, but the museum is always a great place to visit on a rainy day, to see the collection AND all the Rodins. Iris Restaurant is also yummy!

If you want to do some "local" things, visit Taste, my favorite neighorhood place on Medlin Drive (off Lake Boone, so quite near Crabtree actually) or go to The Alley where you can bowl "old school style" with old funky lane, self scoring, cold beer and great fries! Its on Hillsborough Street across from NCSU. Looking for morning coffee, the best near crabtree is Sola coffee off Leadmine. Love their mini-donuts.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

A lot of fun in Carrboro / CH- the biggest Comedy Festival; a lot of Charlotte people attending...

http://www.nccomedyarts.com/schedule/

or workshop? www.nccomedyarts.com/schedule/workshops/

I like ACME for brunch or dinner..

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49005-d44…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

Jim, thanks. Chapel Hill is on my list. I'd like to take my wife to Duke Gardens as she loves flowers, etc. so now that the weather looks better I think we can do that on Sun or Mon.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

Great advice everyone! Thank you so much. I definitely want to check out the NC Museum of Art. We are looking forward to our visit very much. I'm printing out this thread to have with me.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for Visit next Weekend

I don't think there will be many flowers at Duke Gardens now. Maybe some camellias, but I haven't even seen any of those in bloom. It's been a cold winter.

JC Raulston Arboretum is in Raleigh at NC State (https://www.facebook.com/jcraulstonarboretum) and the NC Botanical Garden is in Chapel Hill (http://ncbg.unc.edu).