We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmette, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

We are planning a spring trip to the N.C. Coast around Wilmington. We will fly into the Raleigh airport and travel down Route 40. Are there any sites along this way or can anyone suggest a good local restaurant where we can stop to break up the trip? Thanks.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

This is my favorite (Eastern) NC barbecue restaurant and close to I-40:

ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/stephensons_lar…

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

It's a pretty straight shot. Should take about 2 hrs. Not sure you'll need to stop, but BBQ is always a popular choice in NC.

Wilmette, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Stephenson's sounds like a great lunch stop. Looking forward to some southern cooking and our trip to N.C.

Wilmette, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

It does look like a straight shot but we will have flown in from Chicago and will be hungry. We love to try local out of the way places and Stephenson's sounds good.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

They're closed on Sundays.

Wilmette, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

OK. It most likely will be a Saturday that we'll be passing through. Hope the weather will have improved by April when we go. This has been a pretty bad winter for even us northerners who as used to it and Spring seems far, far away. Thanks Again.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
188 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

If you are not on a strict time schedule. I would consider leaving Interstate 40 and traveling 421 South into Wilmington. If you were to eat at Stephenson's I wouldn't get back on the interstate but travel 401 South to 421. I definately enjoy 421 over the Interstate. I will take you through some interesing small towns, cotton

Wilmette, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

Thank you for your input. I just checked the map and we would prefer taking the slower road. This is a vacation and we won't be in a hurry. Route 421 it will be. I appreciate the help I'm receiving from all of you as we have never been to North Carolina.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
188 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

Whoops..Continuing

fields, and some scenic areas. It shouldn't add but maybe 30-45 minutes to the trip. The average speed limits is 45-55 mph and the slow downs and traffic lights in the towns isn't bad. There is also a nice public rest area about 10 miles outside of Clinton.

Pauls Place famous Hot Dogs in Rocky Point is favorite spot of ours...you will be almost be to Wilmington.

It definately is a diner and dive kind of restaurant...We always buy jars of their hot dog relish.

Enjoy your trip.

10. Re: Raleigh Airport to Wilmington N.C. area via Route 40

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:19