We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

is any one familiar with the sound side beaches? we are staying in salvo near the Surf or Sound office? Is it good swmming wading or is it weedy and muddy? Thanks

Rodanthe Pier
Piers & Boardwalks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kitty Hawk Kites
Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Sports Camps & Clinics
Someday...by the Sea
Gift & Speciality Shops
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

Yes, the sound is muddy. I personally would not venture in to wade since I have seen snakes on the shore. It is great for canoeing and kayaking, I'll stick to the ocean for swimming.

On the positive, you will have such beautiful sunsets!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

We have rented houses on the sound for 20 years and love it! Put on a old pair of shoes and walk and walk and walk! We always take floats to lie on and the dogs love to chase sticks and tennis balls We have even set up a volleyball net and a badminton net! Any snakes around disappear quickly and don't return (we have never had a problem with snakes).

Enjoy the sound!

ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

what kind of snakes are indigenous to the area?

ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

do you know what kind of snakes?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

No I don't but like I said we have never had a problem - never!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

Copperheads, cottonmouths and non-poisonous black snakes.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

The first year we stayed in that area we had 5 snakes about our house. We think it was because it was the first week of the real summer rentals-perhaps they were dormant from the spring. The snakes were mostly grayish, brown-one with an orange marking on the head. We went down to Cape Hatteras and talked with one of the rangers. She could not place that snake, but said there are the non-posionous black, brown, garter, water moc, and copperheads. We also encountered them up in Corolla, down in Ocracoke and in Avon.

I wouldn't worry too much-I am fondly known as a snake magnet-people who never see snakes see them when I am around. So-just to let you know we will be in Ocracoke Memorial Day, a week in June, then Labor Day-stay clear of the island if you do not want to see snakes!

ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

thanks to all for your answers! I will pay attention but not freak!!!!

9. Re: Rodanthe and Salvo sound side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Rodanthe