We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel questions

2 posts
1 review
Travel questions

I fly to Changsha from the US next week. I have never been, do not speak the language, and am traveling solo. I am going for business, and to also see the sights/tourism. It would be great if someone could help answer some questions.

When I arrive is it safe to take taxis, or should I try and arrange transportation in advance? If so, how? Will the language barrier be a big problem? I am staying at the Four Points by Sheraton Changsha, Meixi Lake. Is that area safe to walk around in?

I am conducting business for two days, and also three days tourism. I would like to hire an interpreter/guide, but am not sure how much it would cost, and want to make sure they are trustworthy. How would I go about that?

I have a business visa. When I submitted for my visa I gave an itinerary that said I was staying to only on hotel, but I would like to change it so I stay at a different hotel for a few days. Is that a problem?

Any help along these topics would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Travel questions

On arrival only use taxis from the official taxi queue at the airport. Just follow the signs which will be in English saying Taxis - you'll likely be approached when walking to the taxi queue by people asking if you want a taxi, but just ignore them and keep walking. At the hotel, have hotel staff write out the Chinese for where you would like to go and have them get you a taxi.

You'll need to have your hotel name and address written out in Chinese for the taxi driver and have the hotel's phone number. For the Sheraton, it's:

长沙步步高福朋喜来登酒店

中国

湖南, 长沙

枫林三路 1099 号 A 区,

岳麓区

邮政编码 410205

电话: (86)(731) 8807 9999

China is a very safe country, but like in any country's tourist areas, don't leave anything unattended and pickpockets can be a problem in some areas so protect your valuables.

Keep this info with you or have a card which you can get at the hotel that has name/address in Chinese to show taxi drivers to get back to the hotel.

I'd ask a specific separate question for interpreter/guide recommendations on this Changsha forum. If none given, ask at the hotel when you arrive.

You do not have to adhere to the itinerary you used in your visa application. Just stay in whichever hotel(s) you would like, without having to inform anyone.

Shanghai Region...
Level Contributor
289 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Travel questions

You can ask your business partner to hire/forward contact of potential candidate. From my understanding a business visa should be sponsored by a local business partner and maybe he can send someone to pick you up from the airport, it;'s a standard practice in China.

2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Travel questions

Thanks!

4. Re: Travel questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2018, 14:21

Reply to: Travel questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted