We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tianmenshan questions

Edmonton
Level Contributor
190 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Tianmenshan questions

Ok just got back from China and had a blast! We spend a misty morning on Tianmenshan and loved it (too bad it was so misty, we couldn't see how far up we were when we danced upon the glass skywalk!). I've gone over my photographs and have a question. At one point along the plankway, I saw trees tied up in red ribbons. Lots of them! They floated in the misty breeze and man, was that ookey spooky. What is the significance of the red ribbons? Who are they for? Also, what is a good translation for 'Tianmenshan' if someone were to ask me what that meant? Heavenly mountain?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,711 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tianmenshan questions

Tian = sky or heaven

Men = gate

Shan = mountain

Mt Heaven's Gate.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tianmenshan questions

Heaven's gate mountain

Zhangjiajie, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tianmenshan questions

red colouring characteristic is assumes the color to be deep 、 pealike 、 lively , has more intense stimulating to the vision . in traditional Chinese culture , red has represented the jubilation , happiness and propitious etc , has riches and honor propitious meaning ,

Chinese people like to write down their best wishes on ribbons, and put up in the holy trees in the holy mountain,

from Jeffrey Tang

4. Re: Tianmenshan questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Zhangjiajie