We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living

Which Makry-Gialos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of living

It's 2 years since I was last in Greece and I am sure I will notice a huge difference in the cost of living. On the other hand, have dropping numbers of visiters had any impact?

My usual guide is the price of a beer and Greek salad. Can anyone enlighten me?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living

The Euro prices are basically the same, so if you are from a Eurozone country, no change. However of course the exchange rate is now poor for Brits, so effectively something like 30-40% more costly.

UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living

We have just come back from crete (Wednesday) price of a pint of beer 3 euros in the taverna. In the spar supermarkets at our resort, sun cream was 22.50 euros......YES I did say 22.50 euros, a paperback book was 13 euros. We was self catering a cost of beans & sausages was 3 euros a tin. We had simple meals in the tavernas at 10 euros each of course that was just for the main, so any starter or wine and beer would be extra. hope this helps

Stockport, United...
Destination Expert
for Makry-Gialos
Level Contributor
377 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living

Hi Plodder

A general guide to prices in Makrigialos from memory is €2.50 for a large beer (Mythos and Amstel, other beers vary in cost) which I believe is pretty standard around town, and €4.50/5.00 for a Greek Salad

For a useful article plus a great website about the resort and surroundings then have a butchers at the following:

southeastcreteholidays.com/news/25-news/58-p…

Hope this is of use

Doggy

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of living

22.50EURO good lord!!!

When you can get a bottle at the pound shop!!!

I will be sure to take plenty of this with me!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living

Greeks don't use much sun screen, esp. high SPF, so prices are quite high compared with the UK, and sky high at the resorts. It's always been that way. On the other hand, I would be careful about using the £1 bottles - didn't some research last year (Which? I think) rubbish the cheaper brands like Tesco's own etc?

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living

I am very pale! Red hair. I don't get burnt because I use a lot of sun cream. I always buy the cheap stuff. Its not about the brand or the price. It is about how you use the stuff, how much you use and how often you put it on.

There is nothing wrong with the £1 shop stuff. Infact I have the brands they have at the £1 shop you can find in boots and other high street stores.

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of living

What else is £££ as I am on a small budget!!!

I am going next weekend and not coming back until sept or when my money runs out.

Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of living

Sunscreen has always been dearer in Greece especially when you compare it to all the "buy one, get one free" offers we get in this country.

Like da kiwi, I would be grateful to find out what I should pack so save a few Euros.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,190 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of living

I would take out shampoo as well, especially if you get buy one get one free offers, my Greek friend pays 8 euros for Dove shampoo so I always take some out for her...

sligo
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of living

I would double check your wash bag, nearly all the contents of the average one will be pricier in Crete. You also might want to throw in the likes of Plasters, healing cream or ointment and an aftersun or cooling cream.

If the Mozzies have a love for your sweat and blood you might want to get that sorted before you leave. It is well covered on an recent post here;

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g503710-i9517-k2946…

Enjoy

Bobo

Get answers to your questions about Makry-Gialos