We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Milos HELP!

london
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying to Milos HELP!

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are heading to Milos for the frist time in August. I am not at all familiar with flights for that part of the world. Could someone please provide us with any information on how to access Milos from London, UK???? We are desperate and are not sure if we are able to afford the trip if flights are overly expensive.

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Milos HELP!

You may fly to Milos from Athens only, for about 45 Euros one-way. This is Olympic Airways' lowest domestic fare and it does not change depending on how many days in advance you book it. What does change, however, is the availability. During the high season, the waiting list may be as high as 4-5 weeks or more. Except for July-August, you may be able to purchase your ticket on the previous or even the same day of the flight with no price penalty. Usually, 5-7 days advance purchase is your best bet for availability.

There are currently 2 flights per day, morning and early afternoon. The trip takes just 30 minutes. While in Greece, you may be able to reserve a seat simply by making a phone call to the Olympic Airlines reservations desk. You'd be required to show up at the airport an hour earlier than normal, however, in order to pay for your fare. This fare is an incredible bargain, considering that air travel to nearby Santorini (Thira) will set you back about twice as much (172 Euros Round Trip).

Reservations:

Olympic Airways - Athens

+30 210-9666666

Olympic Airways - Adamas, Milos

+30 22870-22380 (8:30 AM - 3:30 PM, GMT +2)

Landing in Milos (iMovie - QuickTime required)

…mac.com/andreasfmpro/…

Flying to Milos (Photos of the aircraft, the airport, and a satellite map of the flight path)

…mac.com/andreasfmpro/PhotoAlbum86.html

More info: http://www.olympicairlines.com/

Note: In August, it is practically impossible to find available seats at this time. You may have to resort to catching a ferry from Piraeus instead.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Milos HELP!

Just a tip, if booking Olympic flights from the UK, try using Greenbee. They are identical to Expedia (infact when I called, they answered as Expedia), but are cheaper and also cheaper than using Olympics' own site. We used them for all our flights and tickets arrived within 3 days of booking.

www.greenbee.com/travel

One other point, which was unexpected. Passengers were allowed to take liquids on the flight from Milos to Athens. Maybe because there isn't anywhere to buy them after you've been screened?

You don't say how long you are staying for, but would recommend hiring transport for this island, as there is so much to see.

Enjoy your trip

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Milos HELP!

Jennifer,

In my not-so-humble opinion, September 1-15 is absolutely the best time to visit Milos!

The crowds are gone (as of the last weekend in August), prices have dropped precipitously, the weather is still great, though not uncomfortably hot, the sea is still warm enough to swim, flights are still scheduled twice a day with a greater chance of finding available seats, most ferries including the fast ones are still running, and all establishments (hotels, rooms, restaurants, night clubs, etc.) are still open.

Need I say more?

:)

- Andreas

P.S. I love chocolate, too! When in Milos, do not neglect to taste the infamous Chocolate pie at "Arethousa" in Plaka. It is not one of the traditional flavors of Milos, but it is fast becoming one. A word of caution, however: It is not for the faint of stomach–only true chocaholics need apply! Order it a la mode, with vanilla or better yet kaimaki ice-cream, and plenty of water! You have been forewarned!

:)

> On Jun 11, 2007, at 04:30 AM ilovechocolate wrote:

> Hello,

> Let me first thank you for such informative help for my post, it truly is appreciated. Given you seem to be a true expert about the island, i was hoping you might be able to advise me on a much more practical holiday.

> We were originally planning to visit milos at the end of august but are realilzing that it will be much too expensive for us given it is its peak travel season. So now we thought that maybe visiting Milos a few weeks later (beginning-mid sept) might prove a better option.

> Will there still be frequent flights available between athens and milos in september?

> will there still be available accomodations?

> Will there still be car rentals?

> We are just concerned that if we buy the flights now from uk to athens that we wont be able to arrange all of the other parts of our trip!!!

> any advise would be greatly appreciated....

> thanks so much

> jennifer

4. Re: Flying to Milos HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 22:19