We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

Geneva
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

Hi,

I will stay in Milos 10 days in July : is ADAMAS or POLLONIA the best place to stay (not too expensive, quiet, beaches) ?

Does someone know ;

a) Villa notos

b) Hotel Del Mar

Thanks in advance for all infos

MArcel

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

I'd stay 5 days in each village if I were you. Both establishments are very good, BTW.

:)

Andreas

Geneva
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

Thanks Andreas for your message. After Milos I plan to visit Santorini and stay in Kamari : is there a problem to reach Santorini from MIlos by ferry , beginning August ?

Geneva
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

Do you know places to stay in Pollonia ?

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

The LANE ferries travel between Piraeus, Milos, Santorini and Crete twice a week and back on Fridays and Mondays. The departure times don't vary too much from year to year-this is a year-round schedule. Last year, for example, the departure times were:

from Piraeus: 6:40PM (5 hours to Milos)

from Milos: 12:10 after midnight (4 hours to Santorini)

You may be able to find the LANE ferries' schedules posted on http://www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/index_en.vm, but not until one month before departure, and don't expect to be able to book online. You may have to purchase your tickets through an agent, or at a kiosk at the port the evening of your departure. As a consolation, there are always seats available on the LANE ferries, even in August.

There is also the Romilda, which makes the Milos-Santorini trip 1-2 times/week, usually on Tuesday nights.

As for accommodations, here is the website with *all* licensed hotels in Milos, representing all hotel-members of the Hoteliers Association of Milos:

www.milos-hotels.org.

This website also has links to book ferry tickets online and to Olympic Airways' website. It does NOT list rooms-for-rent establishments, just the licensed hotels.

If you ask me for rooms for rent in Pollonia, there are several, but I'd point out 2 in a quiet neighborhood and a good view to the sea: Niki Savvas, and Captain Stavros.

www.nikisavvas.com

www.captain-stavros.com

Andreas

Geneva
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

Thanks so much for your help Andreas. I will come back to you soon with another question : )

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

Milos is not as big as it looks because all the settlements are located in the eastern half of the island which means that it just doesn't make sense to split your time between two locations. Adamas is nothing special and I would always choose to stay in Pollonia which is in a lovely location with a nice beach shaded by tamarisks and has some good tavernas.

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

I believe Milos is as big as it looks–about 150 square km.

Philhellene is correct that the largest villages in Milos are located relatively close to each other. All except for Pollonia, of course, which are located 10 km. away, on the NE tip of the island.

However, proximity of the various villages with each other should not be the determining factor as to whether to split your time between 2 or more locations. Location itself is, plus the individual characteristics of each destination, and why not, the specific accommodations, as well. All of the above will be evaluated against the individual's personal preferences, of course.

In a recent Milos forum thread someone advised someone else not to bother with Pollonia at all and definitely stay in Adamas instead. Opinions are just like orifices. Everyone has one.

Andreas

Geneva
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

I am now more or less decided to find a bungalow (4 people) to rent. I have already written to Nikki Savas and captain Stavros. But do you know Han and Ursula Theill : they rent a house ("Amalia") in Pollonia : does someone know these people ? Two other questions : a) are there different pplaces to stay in POllonia or are they "equal". b) I have seen beautiful pictures of a beach with the rocks : is that Pollonia ?

Thanks again.

Marcel

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

There are a lot of places to stay in Pollonia, and yes, there are differences. I am not sure which pic you have seen of Pollonia. The "Pelekouda" peninsula on the tip of Pollonia is rocky, but the main beach of this fishing village is pure sand. I will be posting a few photos of Pollonia on this forum thread soon for you to download.

Andreas

Geneva
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Milos : stay in Adamas or Pollonia ?

Thanks : I am waiting for the photos ! So, according to you, one of the best places in Pollonia is Pekoulouda ?