We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Make sure you hire a car if you go to Milos

Norwich
Level Contributor
3 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Make sure you hire a car if you go to Milos

The buses don't get you anywhere near the best beaches in Milos - hire a car. We used Lagos in Adamas - which is a one man operation but he was really helpful and he picked us up from Plaka and dropped us at the airport when we left.

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Make sure you hire a car if you go to Milos

Good point, Drindriod,

While the buses in Milos go almost everywhere there is asphalt road, some of the most popular beaches in Milos are not accessible by bus, and some only by boat.

Always make sure you understand where you are allowed to drive your rental car vehicle. Most agencies do not allow regular passenger cars to be driven on the rough dirt roads of the remote western part of Milos, or the east coast of the island. You'd need to rent a 4X4 to get there.

Andreas

Porto
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Make sure you hire a car if you go to Milos

Hi milosisforlovers!

I've been reading your reviews and comments and I must definitely thank you for sharing all your passion and in-depth expertise about Milos.

Having this said, I'mm planning a trip to Milos and Crete from the 31th July to the 10th August. I've already booked the flights and the hotels (Hotel Aeolis in Adamas and Istron Bay Hotel near Agius Nicolaus in Crete). I read some nice reviews from both, so I'm hoping to find a nice stay there.

I will stay in Milos for 6 nights so I've plenty of time to discover the island and exploring the western beaches. To do so, I'll certainly have to rent a decent 4x4. I'm thinking that probably it would be better to book it now since I'm travelling in the high season. Can you recommend me a car hire agency where I can safely book (ahead) that kind of vehicule?

Many thanks in advance,

André Duarte.

P.S.: I am curious if I will find those kind of beaches near Agius Nicolaus.. Can you give me any tips? Thanks once more!

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Make sure you hire a car if you go to Milos

Hello Andre, and thank you for your kind words. :)

There is a number of car rental agencies in Milos with 4X4s, most of which are Suzuki Jimnys. One such agency that comes to mind is Milos Cars. You can google their name + .gr.

I am not sure whether the operation mentioned above also offers 4X4s, but you can look them up as well and ask them.

I'm afraid I am not qualified to offer advice on beaches in Agios Nikolaos, but hopefully a DE for Crete will be happy to help.

Andreas

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Make sure you hire a car if you go to Milos

We visited Milos in June this year and since I lost my Drivers License in Athens we were forced to use the local bus system. We could tell by the pictures in the guide books that we were not going to get to many of the great looking beaches but the buses served us well. One has to plan carefully though, sometimes we found it best to take a taxi to a location and then catch the bus back as the schedules are definitely set for local peoples needs.

Bottom line on our next visit we will definitely rent a car.

nyc
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Make sure you hire a car if you go to Milos

Do people drive around/rent 4 wheeler ATVs (as they do in Mykonos) ?

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Make sure you hire a car if you go to Milos

Yes they do, even though the number of quads has diminished greatly in the last couple of years. Due to safety regulations, higher engine capacity quads have been banned. Now people are reluctant to rent just the 50cc ones, that are, admittedly, underpowered, especially for a 2-passenger load.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 15:26
7. Re: Make sure you hire a car if you go to Milos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Milos