We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The red line. Milos

Spalding, United...
1 post
Save Topic
The red line. Milos

Can anyone tell me exactly which areas of Milos,the red line covers. Some car hire companies will not insure you if you are beyond the red line. We know it`s in Western part of Milos,where best beaches are,but need to know the extent of area covered.Sheree.

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The red line. Milos

Hello Sheree299

We hired a scooter in June and their line started near Embourios and went straight south from there. The roads are shown on my Terrain map as not tarmac past there. I think we strayed a little past the line and the roads became very rough, we did see a hire jeep go further on though. Past the line the locals seemed to have 4wd pick up trucks.

So all the best beaches are possible with a scooter and so should be with a car!

Hope this helps

Edited: 08 August 2012, 20:22
UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The red line. Milos

Hi

We were there last year and hired a 4WD to get to the west coast beaches

The road turns to a track soon after Achivadolimni Beach (I assume this is where the red line starts) and gets progressively worse, but in my opinion its worth getting a 4WD to visit the excellent beaches at Triades and Amoudraki.

We did see the occasional "standard" car but I wouldnt recommend it.

More details on the Island in my trip report:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…35123148

I hope this helps

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The red line. Milos

Hi Sheree,

The red line for most car rental agencies starts where the paved road ends. This is applicable to both the western and eastern parts of the island.

On the west part, the paved road ends at Agia Marina, a couple of km west of Achivadolimni. If traveling on the south shore, the red line starts right after Psathadika, which is a few km west of Provatas and Kipos.

On the eastern part of the island, you may drive as far as Voudia, which is a couple of km south of Pollonia, before you hit the dirt roads. If driving through Zephyria, the paved road ends at the end of the village, on the way to the sulphur mines (Theiorycheia). There is no problem continuing southeast to Paliochori, however.

You may want to check with your rental agency regarding their policy, since you may or may not be allowed to drive on small lengths of dirt road leading to the popular beaches of Agia Kyriaki (veer to the right about 1 km after Zephyria on the way to Paliochori) or Fyriplaka and Tsigrado, on the way to the bay of Provatas on the south shore.

Andreas

DE for Milos

4. Re: The red line. Milos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 11:17