We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

Hello

My English might be bad as my mother tongue is French :)

I am going to visit Santorini till June 6th. Then I would LOVE to go to Folegandros (june 6th till June 9th) then to Milos (june 9th till june 12th) and then to Mykonos (june 12th till june 15th)

Is that realistic in terms of ferries ? Is that time consuming ? Any suggestions ?

If not possible, I'd love to go Folegandros - Paros - Mykonos. That would be my alternative option. But I'd love to go to MIlos

Thank you so much!

Mariella

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

The ferry timetables for June are already out. You can check the connections on

www.gtp.gr

www.openseas.gr

Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

Thank you. I know that there are ferries, but from your experience, is that a 'safe' route ?

I'm finishing my trip at Mykonos, so I don't want to be stuck in an island or loose 1 day because there is a problem with a ferry

That's why I'm wondering if it is safe or not

Do I have to book the ferries in advance ?

thanks !

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

Nothing is 100% safe. It all depends what type of ferry you take (car ferries are more reliable than high speed catamarans), the weather (ditto although usually no problem in June), possible strikes (announced at least several days in advance) , unexpected mechanical problems etc. I have not checked your dates (I'm sorry but it just takes too much time) but if there is only one ferry on any leg of your trip and it happens to be a high speed catamaran at that (most certainly the case with Milos-Mykonos), then it is probably less 'safe' than similar route served by car ferries. No one has a crystal ball though. It may as well go without a hitch.

Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

It's actually a high speed catamaran from Mylos to Mykonos :(

SHIPPING COMPANY: SEA JETS

VESSEL NAME: SUPERJET

How come high speed catamarans are less reliable ?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

Reportedly they are more prone to mechanical failures, delays and also will not be running in rough seas when car ferries still will. I'm not sure if anyone has any official statistics to compare the reliability of different ferries though. The rule of thumb is however not to rely on a high-speed catamaran for key legs of your journey like going to the airport for a flight on the same day. But I understand it is not a key leg of your journey. You will still have plenty of time, so if the Superjet does not turn up in the morning on 12 June, take the late afternoon car ferry to Syros, stay overnight and go to Mykonos in the morning. It is a quick hop. The worst that can happen is that you will lose one night in Mykonos. It may all as well be OK. I'm not saying that high speed catamarans are totally unreliable and you should not use them at all. Most of the time they are running with no problems.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

In terms of practicality and frequency of ferries, your trip would work better if you went Milos -> Folegandros -> Santorini -> Mykonos, or vice versa.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

As the previous answer.

You can do it your way, but it's not the logical and simple way to do it.

This is simplest, either direction anti-clockwise or clockwise.

Piraeus > Milos > Folegandros > Santorini > Mykonos > Piraeus/Rafina.

Your second example:

Piraeus > Folegandros > Paros > Mykonos > Piraeus/Rafina.

Ferry cancellations are rare in reality however it is not unknown for schedules to change quite late so over tight schedules where 1 day makes a difference are to be avoided, be flexible and relax.

I don't like the 'Superjet' it's bad in rough weather and expensive, I would always choose another ferry if at all possible.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 17:04
Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
148 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

I also agree with the route proposed in two previous posts. I only have some objections on the island hopping idea. Staying in one place only for three days (some people do only 2) is like watching the first 10 minutesd of three different movies. Speaking of Milos that can easily fill a 7 to 10 day vacation, a three day visit will be just a good teaser for your next visit to the islands. In any case it is better to come for three days than not to come at all.

Provided that you make the route Piraeus->Milos->Folegandros->Santorini->Mykonos you dont have to use the Superjet if you don't have to (the problem is that in June the car-ferries connection between Milos-Folegandros-Santorini are not freguent, might not allow to do three day stays only ).

Not all highspeeds are unreliable, but Superjet is and even is relatively calm sea there will be cases where people get sea sick. When the wind picks up, then the trip is quite unconfortable. For us in Milos, Superjet plays a significant role connecting us with Santorini on daily basis, but on other hand when the sea is rough there might be even two hours late or even cancelled.

Please note that the ferry schedule for June is not out yet for the "standard" car ferries "Agios Georgios" and "Adamantios Korais" which connect Milos with Folegnadros and Santorini. (They are scheduled routes for July and August, that's why the guys posting thought that the schedule of June is also up). They are expected to be finilised by next week. (I was on the phone with ferry company this morning regarding this issue).

If you plan to use car ferries you can propably leave the ticket issueing for last minute. If you will plan to use a high speed it is better to book in advance.

I would advice to use a local agent for your tickets its easier to change/cancel or get refunded in case of cancellation from the ferry company (rarely happens to car ferries). The price is the same no matter if you will book on-line or buy from an agent.

Hope to see you in MILOS!

9. Re: Can I go Santorini / Folegandros / Milos / mykonos ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 05:17