We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Milos

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Milos

Will be arriving in Milos later this month on a cruise. Will be there from 8a to 5 p. What should we see and do in that time?

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Milos

Highlights of Milos include some ancient Christian catacombs, the colorful little collection on houses on the water at Klima, and beaches with some of the most incredible rock formations I've seen. I'd rent a car, take in those sites and have lunch in Plaka. Milos is a photographer's paradise.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Milos

Agree you really need a car to see the best spots on Milos as they aren't accessible otherwise. We're just finishing our 5 days on Milos now and highlights have been Sarakiniko amazingly lunar white rock formations where you can also have a swim, the little tiny ports with fishermens houses, our favourite of which was Mandrakia as it also has the perfectly positioned Medusa taverna for lunch, and also a great scenic drive round to Embourios tin the west which has a lovely taverna right at the waters edge which seemed popular with locals too - always a good sign. Also lots of other interesting beaches with great background scenery like Fyriplaka in the south which has sunshades available plus beach bar. Enjoy - we have loved it here.

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Milos

Thanks for the info. What do car rentals cost a day?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Milos

I agree rent a car and explore the island. You have already been given good advice but you may want to concentrate on Plaka as it is a wonderful traditional Greek town and has unbelievable views. You can have lunch up there as well and hike up to the Kastro for a 360 day view of the island.

You can also see the catacombes and amphitheater and then drive down to Klima. All of these are in the same area. Fairly close by is Sarainikio a white rock area that is totally unique. Also look for the tunnels at Sarainikio bring a flashlight. That should pretty much use up a day and in total you will not likley travel more than 20 kilometers in total. Enjoy

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
148 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Milos

Peak season a car rental of group A car should not cost more than 45€. If a car agency ask for more look somewhere else. There are car rentals on the port, but ifyou want to makesure that you will not lose too much time looking for a car ypu can reserve one and of course know the price beforehand.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Milos

Milos is a fabulous island with one of the most incredible landscapes of the Cyclades in my opinion . You don't say which other lslands you are visiting, but I suggest renting a car and visiting some of the landscapes which make the island unique.... Sarakiniko with the wonderful "lunar" rocks and beach and my favourite which is Paleohori beach... a beach of volcanic warm spots, surrounded with the most colourful rock I have ever seen..... and if you have not exhausted the boat travel thing (being on a cruise) there is a wonderful boat tour around the island which brings you to many of the incredible landscape beauties of the island. I also want to add that we have had some of our best meals ever right at the port of Adamas. Have a wonderful visit to Milos.

Karen

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Milos

Just to follow up, confirm our car hire for a Fiat Panda type small car was 40 euros per day.

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
148 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Milos

Good price, have a nice day on Milos! Dont forget to go to Sarakiniko beach!

Oz
Level Contributor
120 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Milos

I am also planning a day in Milos and will need to hire a car.

Can someone please provide details for a reputable car hire place which offers pick up & drop off at cruise ship port.

The sites I've found so far charge a lot more than 40Euros a day. I will be there in August.

Is there any issues with parking in Plaka?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Milos

The cruise ship will be at Adamas and that is where the car rental companies are located. There are several on the waterfront and you can just walk up to one and rent for the day. The cars are parked right there on the main street. In August a one day rental will certainly be in the 40 euro range as it is peak season. You will probably be best to choose a rental agency in Adamas and reserve the car now so it will be waiting for you.

There is parking in Plaka but most of it is just on the outskirts just before you get into the town. It is actually quite a large gravel lot. You will have a fairly short but quite steep walk into the town from the parking lot.