We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

Hi

heading to Greece next Aug / Sept for 26 days total. 3 nights in Athens followed by 7 in Santorini takes us to the 19th Aug. We then have accom booked on Crete from 23 August for the first 4 nights of 9 or 10 then to Hydra for a couple of nights before heading out.

looking at fitting in Milos between day of 19th and night of 23rd when due in Crete (Falassarna)

My question is regarding ferry connections - getting from Milos, back to Santorini (i would assume), to then ferry to Heraklion, which i believe arrives there late evening. So.. can i get from Milos to Heraklion on the one day, the 22nd, to stay Heraklion one night before driving to Falassarna?

i assume no ferry direct from Milos to Crete? Is there an easier way to do it? Fly? via Piraeus?

cheers and thanks for any advice

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

There is a direct ferry from Milos to Heraklion once a week, currenly running overnight Friday/Saturday.

…anek.gr/anek_prod/…Brochures_300_en.pdf

On other days of the week you need to go with a change of ferry at Santorini or Piraeus

www.gtp.gr

www.openseas.gr

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

Cheers

thanks for that

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

Does any one know if in summer there is greater frequency of Milos / Crete (any port) ferries / sea cats - and if so what days they go on? Must be more than one a week in high season?

cheers

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

No, the Milos/Crete ferry runs all year to the same schedule with occasional, usually small, changes. There no direct high speed catamarans on this route. What increases in high season is the frequency of Santorini/Heraklion, Milos/Santorini and Milos/Piraeus ferries.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 05:11
Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

Champion!

good to know. I guess best bet is to always leave a day up sleeve between islands in case of connections. Makes it hard booking accom which have been doing.

What do you think the chances are of doing Milos to Santorini to Crete (any port will do) on the same day. ie - would there be a trip early enough from Milos to land at Santorini in plenty of time for the connection to Crete (pref Heraklion or Chania)?

you have been very helpful - I do appreciate

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

The chances are very good unless the meltemi gets in the way (August is peak meltemi season so there is a risk of cancellations). There is the daily 09:35 Seajets catamaran from Milos arriving at Santorini at 11:25 and the catamarans to Heraklion depart in late afternoon at 17:05 and 17:55.These timetables have already been posted in the links above. There are no ferries to Chania. There may be a conventional ferry from Milos to Santorini added later but its times are unlikely to be convenient - this year they were in the early hours of the morning.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 05:38
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

In the OP you state that you need to be in Falassarna on Saturday, August 23rd. The weekly ferry mentioned by Ozzlem would save you spending a night in Heraklion, and give you an extra day on Milos. It departs Milos on Fridays at 11pm, and arrives in Heraklion on Saturdays at 7am. Book a cabin and you can sleep on the ferry, fresh for your drive to Falassarna the next morning.

The ferry is Prevelis, an ANEK ferry operated by Aegeon Pelagos Sea Lines. You won't see it in the August timetables yet, but since it operates the same schedule year-round you can see its itinerary in the January timetables on www.gtp.gr . Prevelis is a huge old ship, less affected by winds than the small catamarans.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

You could always just fly from Milos via Athens and get to Chania in mid afternoon.

9. Re: Connections: Milos, Santorini, Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:18