We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best food/tavernas

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Best food/tavernas

It has been a very long time since we have been to Milos. Can anyone recommend their favourite places to eat?

Many thanks,

Karen

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best food/tavernas

Hi Karen ... Antonis and Flora served excellent home-cooked Greek cuisine at their Plakiani Gonia taverna in Plaka when we last visited Milos a couple of seasons back. We ate there at least three times and on each occasion other repeat customers were there, with everyone talking about how the great food kept drawing them back for more. Antonis's son and his wife operate the En Plo cafe-bar right upstairs of the taverna; it has an open-air terrace with great views of Milos (unfortunately, no sunset views). You can view photos of the taverna and bar in my Plaka album on Flickr: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHFFQFJ

Another place we enjoyed in Plaka, both last time and on our first visit to Milos, was To Diporto Taverna. Archoundoula near the bus stop is a very popular place with tourists, but we found the food to be only OK and nothing special. (The staff give you a menu to peruse when you sit down, but at order time hand you a slip of paper on which you check off the items you want ... we weren't impressed that the prices on the paper were higher in most cases than those shown in the menu.) Photos of both restaurants appear in that same album link I gave you.

Just outside the main part of Adamas, on the road to Papakinou beach, we really enjoyed O Xamos on our first trip to Milos, dining there several times. We didn't get back to O Xamos on our last trip to Milos, but I did notice recently that they continue to receive good reviews here on TA.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 22:39
Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best food/tavernas

Thanks so much for the great tips Donnyb. I've added them to my list of "must - do's".

Karen

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,841 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best food/tavernas

I do second Donnys recommendation for To Deporto. The food there was Greek but with a modern twist. For sure that was our favorite in Plaka.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best food/tavernas

We had a lovely lunch at Taverna Ergina in Tripiti where I had the Ergina salad – beans, sweetcorn, tomato and peppers in a vinagrette dressing. There was quite a lot of it and it was delicious. The taverna is in a lovely location with views down over the bay. After lunch we were given a complimentary dessert which was like a coffee flavoured mini crème caramel in a tiny cup and was delicious.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best food/tavernas

Thanks Gemma,

I've added the Ergina Taverna to my list... that salad sounds wonderful. It is such a treat to have wonderfully fresh vegies in Greece. Here at home they are somewhat lacking to say the least.

Karen

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
148 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best food/tavernas

Do not miss a visit in Pollonia. Very high quality tavernas and restaurants

- Liofyto (at the entrance of the village, meat dishes)

- Armenaki, Almyra (fish and sea food)

- Enallion (sea and meat options)

- Gialos (mediterrenean modern cousine)

- Kapetan Nikolas (typical Greek, sea side tavern)

Gialos, Enallion and Armenaki have very good wine lists and staff that are specially trained to propose wines and serve them properly.

Almyra is owned by a fisherman most big fishes in the display are his catch, usually the same day. This is not a tourist "catch" its true. The cousine in that place is not the "typical" fish tavern, has proposals with a twist.

For the rest of the posts I do agree with "O Xamos", "Ergina" , "Diporto" and I would include also "Methysmeni Politeia" and "Glaronisia" in Trypiti village.

Overall the island has very good restaurants and taverns.

ENJOY!!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best food/tavernas

Thanks Antonis, I have added these to my list as well.

Karen

8. Re: Best food/tavernas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:20