We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

You'll Love It! And when we took our first trip there we did! And the rest of Greece too! One must is the area of Tripoti and Klima with Tripoti being a lovely hilltop village, the archeological sites in the area (ancient ampitheater and Catacombs, the site where the Venus di Milo was found and finally the beautiful and colorful fishing village of Klima!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

thanks for the tip! What area would you recommend staying in?

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

I wish someone had told me of the Milos Mining Museum. It would have given me such a great insight in what I was seeing when moving around the island. Milos is a result of volcanic activity, making it blessed with such a variety of minerals. One great sight is the white cliffs of Sarakiniko. The museum tells you why they are white, and which activity has been going on there. You see mines in different colours all over Milos. Why are they red, brown, yellow and what are all the minerals used for ? The museum has the answer.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

We stayed in Adamas the main town and port. It has a decent beach and a very nice waterfront with all kinds of tavernas, shops and other businesses . . . and it's still Greece. The other towns/villages are smaller and a little further afield such as Appollonia a small pretty seaside town, not much happening there with a few tavernas and shops but still quite nice. You'll need a car if you stay there. Lots of really beautiful beaches and fanstastic rock formations to check out along most of the coast. I also agree about the Mining museum which we saw. Great artifacts, photos and a nice film on the history of mining and the people who did the dirty work. As stated our favorite place was the Tripoti/Klima area but Adamas is probably the best town to base yourself.

Edited: 23 May 2014, 18:17
Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

"What do you wish someone told you about Milos?"

Very well put, freckles!

As a DE for Milos, I'd look at your question from a different angle. Most first time visitors to Milos end up saying: "If I knew then what I know now, I'd have arranged to stay in Milos far longer".

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

Excellent advice from both Periscope and crazyh.

I only have a couple of corrections:

It's Trypiti, and Pollonia, respectively. All other spellings of Pollonia (neutral gender, plural) are wrong.

:)

Both villages are featured in their respective pages on Facebook.

Andreas

DE for Milos

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

The Milos Mining Museum is indeed a must-see. Other notable museums in Milos are:

• Archaeological Museum (in Plaka)

• Folklore and History Museum (in Plaka - search for it on Facebook for more info, photos, and 360º virtual tours! Also, on www.milos360.com)

• Ecclesiastical Museum (in Adamas, at Agia Triada - Holy Trinity church)

• Maritime Museum (in Adamas)

In addition:

• Refuge Project (in Adamas - see page on Facebook by the same name)

• Collection of War Memorabilia (in Plakes)

Andreas

DE for Milos

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

The Maritime Museum did unfortunately not open during our visit. Not even in the announced opening hours.

I read about the Refuge Project, but could not find it in Adamas. The closest I came was a review from what looked like an art exhibition in the old bunkers, back in 2013.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

Thank you so much everyone!

10. Re: What do you wish someone told you about Milos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:15