We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek islands over Easter

england
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Greek islands over Easter

I am thinking of going to Greece, specifically Athens and maybe an island or two over the Easter break. Will everything be closed? What are the chances the weather will be ok? I was thinking of Milos and Folegandros as island choices.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek islands over Easter

I have been to Greece and the islands in April for many years now. My experience is that the typical tourist resorts are just preparing for the season to come (maintenance, refurbishing etc), but in towns where people live all year round you will surely find all your daily needs.

Transport is not so frequent before the main season starts (usually as from June, with the season as such starting in mid May). Take this into consideration when planning your islands and itinerary.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek islands over Easter

hi.

many times in the past i went to mykonos for easter holidays.

there it is very festive and party like time.everything is open and usually the weather very mild.transportation from athens to mykonos are very frequent during this time.folegandros will be too quite.i don't know about milos.but for sure easter in mykonos is a great experience!

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek islands over Easter

It all depends on the timing. During Greek Orthodox Easter the islands are alive with lots of people visiting and a festive atmosphere. Ferry schedules are also enhanced to accommodate the surge in passenger traffic.

During Catholic Easter, however, there is usually no significant change in an island's normal tourist traffic for the season. This year, the Greek Orthodox Easter coincides with the Catholic Easter (April 8) so you are in luck. You should be able to find a ferry and have a great time in any island of your choosing.

Milos in particular is beautiful in the Spring and holds very interesting Easter commemorations worthy of attending and photographing. The metropolitan church of each village holds its own ceremony each day of the week, culminating on Saturday night (midnight) and Sunday with fireworks celebrating the ressurection of Christ. The village of Plakes, in particular, holds a re-enactment of the crucification on Thursday, while the flower-decorated epitaph of Christ is on parade in the main streets of each village on Friday accompanied with chorus singing and lots of faithful holding lit candles.

As a side note, there are two Catholic churches in Milos in addition to the hundreds of Orthodox ones, St. Nicolas in Adamas and Rosaria (Our Lady of the Rosary) in Plaka. Both were built by Louis Brest, the sub-consul of France in the 1800s who was the liaison responsible for taking the famous statue Venus de Milo (Aphrodite of Milos) from the island to France. Louis Brest was later laid to rest in a grave on the floor of the Rosaria.

As for the weather, I cannot vouch for it, especialy in the face of the climatic changes we have been witnessing lately. The ceremonies in the Easter weekend are traditionally held largely outdoors and attended by several hundred faithful and I have never experienced foul weather in Milos preventing this in the last 10 years.

- Andreas

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
823 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek islands over Easter

hi england

normally at easter ferry companys accomadate for the greek easter,

if your coming for the uk easter then you might be better off sticking to the islands with a regular winter schedule

like paros ,naxos , ios ,santorini , blue star ferries run everyday to theseislands in the winter they leave pireaus at 7.30am everyday,

alot of places in the islands dont open till end of april,

but there is abundance of places that do open in march some all winter,

for me this is the best time to travel to the islands to have that REAL GREEK feeling the 1st time i visited greece for easter i was like oh wow , its a bigger celebration than our christmas ,

i wouldnt miss the chance of popping over to a few islands whilst your here your love it !!

oioigeeza

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek islands over Easter

Sorry - I have misinterpreted your intention re. when you were going - reading "Over Easter break" as "after". I certainly join in with the other postings.

If you like an idea how Easter is celebrated, here is a link to an album from Easter celebrations on Naxos:

…online.no/album/orderonlytsl/showalbum.php…

"Se lysbildevisning" means "View slideshow", "Neste" means "Next" and "Hastighet" means "Speed" (for the slideshow viewing).

6. Re: Greek islands over Easter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 21:20