We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome-Lipari-San Vito

Which Trapani hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
2 posts
Save Topic
Rome-Lipari-San Vito

Hello

This is my first post but I have been using the forums a lot to plan my holiday and just wondered if anyone had any advice before I go!

My boyfriend and I, both 24, are going for two weeks in two weeks time. We are wanting a holiday where we get to see a lot but can also relax. We are also on a very tight budget!

Our plan is as follows:

Fly to Rome - 3 nights in Rome

Leave Rome in the morning, go to Pompeii and then on to Naples where we get the overnight ferry to Lipari.

5 nights in Lipari making days trips to Stromboli, Vulcano etc.

Hydrofoil to Palermo then bus to San Vito. 5 nights in San vito visiting Erice, Scopello, Riserva Naturale dello Zingaro.

Bus to Palermo to fly back to London.

I would really love to hear any comments/advice. Do you think this is possible using public transport?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome-Lipari-San Vito

You have worked through a very good itinerary.

Just know that the June hydrofoil schedule from Lipari to Palermo has not yet been posted.

On the northwestern tip of Sicily, San Vito would not be as convenient a base as Castellammare or Trapani with public transportation. Without a train station, you would be dependent on buses each day for your day trips.

Segesta is a must-see destination as well!

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome-Lipari-San Vito

I think that yours is an excelent plan! but would advice you, if possible, to rent a car for your stay in San Vito.

If you planing to travel to San Vito and visit Erice, Scopello and may be Segesta consider what you would spend in bus fares could be put towards car rental.

Just pick up the car between Lipari and San Vito from the airport and bring it back on the departure day.

It will give you the freedom that is required when you are on holiday!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome-Lipari-San Vito

Ustica Lines has NO plans for hydrofoil service for Palermo and Cefalu to the Aeolian Islands this summer.

Though this may change, it is unlikely that it will, so you most definitely should plan on taking the hydrofoil from Lipari to Milazzo or Messina.

You could then rail to Trapani and bus to San Vito. Though buses serve the province of Trapani, a car would certainly be more convenient.

Vagabonda

London
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome-Lipari-San Vito

Thank you very much for your help!

We have decided to stay in the campsite in Castellamare to make it easier to day trip. We were planning on hiring a car but unfortunately we can't as we don't have a credit card which they need for a deposit. Very disappointing but think we'll be ok without.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome-Lipari-San Vito

That is a much better plan!

Castellammare is also a nice town and with its train station, as well as bus service, day trips will be much easier and more convenient.

Consider hiring scooters – may not be as difficult without a credit card.

Will wait to hear from you! Enjoy!

Vagabonda

6. Re: Rome-Lipari-San Vito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 07:19