We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erice or Segesta?

Which Trapani hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Erice or Segesta?

We've got time for one but not both when our cruise stops in Trapani. Wondering which to choose?? Thanks for all knowledgeable feedback. (I know what each place "is"-- I just don't know which might be most interesting.) (We love gorgeous scenery.)

Thanks!!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Erice or Segesta?

Definitely Segesta. The Greek Temple and Theatre are among the most exquisite on earth. Watch Lina Wertmuller's film "Blood Feud" (Sophia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, Giancarlo Giannini) for a great preview.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Erice or Segesta?

Which might be more interesting would depend on your interests. Both offer gorgeous scenery and beautiful views.

Erice is an enjoyable town, good spot for lunch, and would be easier and more convenient to reach from Trapani.

Segesta is a gorgeous temple and the rolling countryside is very beautiful – You would no longer be able to walk within the temple since it’s been closed because of safety concerns.

Vagabonda

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Erice or Segesta?

Both Segesta and Erice offer gorgeous scenery and beautiful views, except on days (especially outside of the summer months) when the thick fog knocks Erice out of contention in this category.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Erice or Segesta?

Even in fog, Erice is quite magical!

www.trekearth.com/search.php…

Vagabonda

florida
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Erice or Segesta?

Thank you for replies. I think that Erice makes more sense for us, though I would love to see the temple. Now I need to decide whether to do the cable car up.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Erice or Segesta?

Where else will you visit in Sicily? Will you have another opportunity to see Greek ruins or any other sites of antiquity?

The cable car closes from around mid-January to mid-March, and if it is at all windy, it shuts immediately, and it also doesn’t run in inclement weather, and it closes on Mondays for maintenance.

Funivia Erice:

http://www.funiviaerice.it/index.php?lang=en

Vagabonda

florida
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Erice or Segesta?

We visited Taormina for the day two years ago and very much enjoyed the town and the amphitheater. Trapani is this year's stop on our Med cruise. We won't be visiting other parts of Sicily. The cruise is 2 weeks in July, not when I'd most choose to be in that part of the world, but that's the way it's happening this time.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Erice or Segesta?

Hi nancyFlorida,

If you enjoyed Taormina, you would probably also enjoy Erice.

July will be very hot – Should you change your mind and decide to visit Segesta, try to avoid the hot mid-day hours and bring water.

You might appreciate a typical lunch in Erice and a visit to La Pasticceria di Maria Grammatico, and you could purchase some local ceramica at Ceramica Ericina, and some delicious regional food products at Bazar del Miele.

If you enter “Maria Grammatico”, “Bazar del Miele” and “Ceramica Ericina” in the Search box, you could retrieve many earlier threads. Ceramica Ericina is very reliable and this ceramic company also ships.

Vagabonda

florida
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Erice or Segesta?

Thank you. I truly am dreading the heat, but this was when we were able to travel this year. I may regret choosing the Med-- we'll see. We virtually never purchase anything when we travel abroad, but we'll enjoy seeing the town and the scenery. (Shopping is one of the things I most dislike to do.) Thanks again for your help.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Erice or Segesta?

It probably won’t be any hotter than a summer in Florida.

Buying pastries at Maria Grammatica, or food at Bazar del Miele hardly constitutes shopping – You’ll eat it all before you get home!

http://www.mariagrammatico.it/

http://www.bazardelmiele.com/home.htm

Vagabonda