We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erice cable car question

florida
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Erice cable car question

I think I've decided that we'd prefer our one excursion from Trapani to be Erice rather than Segesta (wish we had time for both-- maybe...). Question now is whether to do the ship tour that includes the cable car to Erice. Is the whole scene very much more spectacular if one does the trip up by cable? Or is the scenery and voyage just as pleasant by mini tour bus? Thanks.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Erice cable car question

I have never taken the cable lift, but can tell you that the bus ride is very, very nice. I would expect the cable lift to be even more spectacular. However, in case of heavy fog or strong winds, the cable lift will likely be shut down.

Having gone to Erice both on a stunningly gorgeous summer day and on a grey, fogged-in spring day, I can also tell you that at least half the reward of going there are the views of Trapani, the Egadi Islands offshore, and the northern coastline. These views are shrouded on a foggy day, making the trip much less rewarding, in my opinion, even though, as Vagabonda correctly remarkes elsewhere, Erice retains considerable charm even when shrouded in fog and mist.

In any case, I do believe that there is a general consensus about whether to give Segesta priority over Erice; and even more so on a foggy day. Remember that Erice is essentially the best example of a Sicilian medieval town perched on a mountain top with stunning views (on a clear day) and with significant archeological remains. Segesta is one of the finest examples of Greek temples and theatres to be found on earth, comparable to the Temple of Concordia at Agrigento and the Temple of Neptune at Paestum.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,801 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Erice cable car question

Ciao nancyFlorida,

Most ship tours include Erice and Segesta, so if the ship tour offers both, certainly take advantage of the opportunity to see Erice and Segesta.

The Michelin Green Guide ranks sites, and may help you gauge which sites would be the most significant to see. The Michelin Green Guide Sicily awarded 3* (Highly Recommended) to both Erice and Segesta.

Not everyone has an interest in antiquity, and Erice is a very pleasant day excursion.

Not only is Erice closer and more convenient than Segesta, but Erice would make for a more complete day with the possibility of enjoying lunch.

When will you be travelling nancyFlorida?

The cable car closes from around mid-January to mid-March, and if it is at all windy, it shuts immediately, and it also doesn’t run in inclement weather, and it closes on Mondays for maintenance.

Funivia Erice:

http://www.funiviaerice.it/index.php?lang=en

Trapani to Erice and return:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494955-i9813-k300…

Itinerary from Trapani:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494955-i9813-k212…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

3. Re: Erice cable car question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Trapani